History of the Holden Logo
Since the beginning of General Motors Holden (GMH), the Holden emblem has had many evolutions.
The first Holden emblem was a life-sized wooden horse, which stood above the entrance of the Holden and Frost saddlery works in Adelaide. In the 1920’s a large brass plate was embossed with a winged figure representing the industry against a background of factory buildings. The size of this plate was reduced in 1926 and, as the emblem was too detailed to be embossed on a smaller plate, a new design was produced. This new design was based on the Egyptian style ‘Wembley Lion’ as many designers during this period were culturally influenced by Egyptian themes.
Australian sculptor, George Raynor Hoff, created the emblem of 1928. According to the historical fable, the principle of the wheel was suggested to primitive man when a lion was seen rolling a stone. From this, Hoff gained his inspiration and created the ‘lion and stone’ emblem. Embossed on a rectangular plate, this badge was attached to the first Holden when it was publicly announced the same year and all Holden’s following it.
Following this development, the original Egyptian design was modernized in 1972 and further evolved again in 1994 to become the powerful brand that we know and recognize today.