So you say to yourself: Self, I have to meet these insane people that scribble all over e2 all night and day. But where? And how?

Good sir legbagede, rugged outdoorsman and all round nice guy, suggested a tribute to our American friends. In order to celebrate one more year of not invading each other, we will revel in all things American. Weak Beer and bowling! What better way to mark the birth of our neighbor nation? And in a foreign capital no less!

The Plan as it stands:

When: Friday, the Fourth of July, 2003! 3 days after Canada Day, which we feel is ample time to recover.

Where: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada! It's the big star on your map of Canada, the one that says capital. We'll start off at the Kent street Bowl-a-rama, virtually across the street from the Ottawa Bus Terminal, where a few select lanes will be reserved, and the addition of balls to pins will fill us with trailerpark joy. It is 5 pin, not the traditional manly tenpin they play down south. 7pm would be the time, as a lane has been reserved. It'll go until 9-ish, and i think it'll be about $6.50 ea. roughly, incl. shoes, lane, taxes. They have a full diner menu as well incidentally (legs recommends the fries). Update: in the interest of portraying a "true" American bowling experience, rock and glow is out... that and it is only on Saturdays. Regular bowling, the way God intended it, will be played.

The address is:

Kent Bowling Lanes
270 Catherine St,
Ottawa ON
(613)232-0379

Then what?: With the red, white and blue burning in our hearts, our noble band of minutemen will charge up Bank Street to:

The James Street Feed Company
390 Bank St,
Ottawa, ON
(613) 563-7300

Where we will sample such delights as "American cheese", "Pabst Blue Ribbon" and "Burgers". These foreign treats are subject to availability, as the last dogsled delivery was delayed. Worst comes to worst, we will just order off the menu. There has also been talk of going to the Elgin Street Diner, or the Manx. We'll play it by ear.

Who?:

Confirmed:
legbagede
allseeingeye
mirv - a real live Merikan! come and be amazed!
Twiin - no broken leg can stop the mighty Twiin!
Altusmens
Senso - needs a place to crash. Help a brother out!

Coming if they can:
cbustapeck
Stavr0
Harpsichord_fanatic
hamster bong
owlman

Not coming, but requests the consumption of alchol on their behalf:
Scribe, the adventerous funkster.
toalight, the lonely Viking.
Wiccanpiper
Timeshredder
nocte wants to, but is going to WonkoDSane and Radlab0's wedding. She curses her popularity.

Unconfirmed but invited:
Everybody

msg legbagede or myself to add yourself to the list.

Important note: This noder meet is to be held in a strange and foreign land. I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT EAT POUTINE OFFERED BY STRANGERS! Also, for those of you coming from far off places, How to lie your way across the Canadian border is a useful guide.

Hope to see you then!

How Can It Be A Frozen Wasteland When It's 32°C And 95% Humidity or ... Where's Allseeingeye? An Aftermath Node

Who Showed Up

  • Altusmens (We ARE friendly to new noders)
  • legbagede (The host with the most)
  • mirv (Token American noder)
  • Senso (Survived three convenience store hold-ups to be here)
  • Stavr0 (designated drivel)

Phase One - Five-pin Bowling

Having showed up late, I cannot say much about the bowling. Drove right past the site, having not noticed the tiny sign pointing out the bowling lanes hidden in an unremarkable commercial building. I was expecting a bowling pin-shaped neon sign of some sort.

A kind of shabby ol' bowling lanes with the two old guy owners watching some kind of tractor pull event on some sports channel. Atmosphere was kind of subdued as no social lubricant was present. I did learn a new bowling technique: Intentionnaly forgetting to hit the spare cleanup button and hitting the gutter pin for a spare. Score sheet is currently in the custody of mirv, I think.

Phase Two - Food and Beer

Now the party is getting started. Three rounds of Rickard's Red later, everyone tells their life story including some scary holdup stories, current whereabouts of Our Sensei, general politico-anarchist discussions (Shrubya and Silvio Berlusconi mentioned) and some really good concert ticket stub stories (Godspeed you black emperor!).

Legbagede's girlfriend shows up and, uncharacteristic to any regular SO in the known universe, actually agrees to invite four strangers to their apartment, which leads us to

Phase Three - Leg Pad

After a quick ride in the Stavr0mobile (Radiohead sounds like Genesis, not the other way around!) we all sit down in Legbagede's basement appartment and continue our armchair philosopher musings until The Leg's GF reminds us that the last bus to Montreal is at 2AM (hint hint).

So major propz go to Legbagede and B___ for having us over and Altusmens, mirv and Senso for taking the Greyhound here and back.

Photographic evidence

Scarce I'm afraid, as I forgot to give my batteries a fresh charge before the gathering. So what we got is Altusmens's shoe, Mirv and Senso. That's it. http://www.wertperch.co.uk/gallery A million thanks to Wertperch for tolerating all these noder pics on his site.

Epilogue: Random snippet of chatterbox conversation relevant to this topic

July 7, 2003
16:44 <Timeshredder> An ok flick and a good one marginally damaged by being taken too seriously.... Hey, allseeingeye, how'd the nodermeet go?
16:47 <allseeingeye> Noder meat? I have no noder meat
16:49 <Timeshredder> Didn't you host the Ottawa event this weekend?
16:51 <allseeingeye> If you mean "missed because my pool sprang a leak and ruined my weekend" then yes, yes I "hosted" it.
16:53 <nocte> that's why pools should be underground.
16:53 allseeingeye starts digging, Encino man style
16:55 metal rozsa dunks nocte in her pool

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.