The Flying Dutchman was one of the most notorious slave ships in the 18th and 19th centuries. The boat was also the subject (and title) of an Opera by Richard Wagner. The greatest part is that the Opera fails to address the inherent evils in the slave trade and instead focuses on the romance of the seas, and the love interests of its captain.

The Flying Dutchman
Edwin Arlington Robinson

Unyielding in the pride of his defiance,
 Afloat with none to serve or to command,
Lord of himself at last, and all by Science,
 He seeks the Vanished Land.

Alone, by the one light of his one thought,
 He steers to find the shore from which we came, --
Fearless of in what coil he may be caught
 On seas that have no name.

Into the night he sails; and after night
 There is a dawning, though there be no sun;
Wherefore, with nothing but himself in sight,
 Unsighted, he sails on.

At last there is a lifting of the cloud
 Between the flood before him and the sky;
And then -- though he may curse the Power aloud
 That has no power to die --

He steers himself away from what is haunted
 By the old ghost of what has been before, --
Abandoning, as always, and undaunted,
 One fog-walled island more.

The Flying Dutchman is a brilliant German opera by Richard Wagner, based on the legend of a sailor who, having defied God, was doomed to sail the seven seas for all eternity. Of course, this endless voyage would make a rather dreary opera, and so Wagner has added some love and jealousy to the story, in true operatic fashion.

I do not know opera like others know fine wine and strange cheeses, yet I know what I like. The Flying Dutchman is a modern work in interesting, slightly dissonant sounds, and a rousing tale of the sea that reflects in the music. It's a different kind of opera, like the Flying Dutchman himself was different from all other seamen.

Der fliegende Holländer

The Overture starts out very similarly to Ride of the Valkyries, but instead of taking off and fly, the music calms down to speak of love and beautiful things. Then it conjures up an image of the rolling sea and the rhythm of the waves. A simple theme is introduced, enlarged, and tossed around on the waves for a bit. Then begins the story.

Act I

We are taken to a rocky shore where the Norwegian seafarer Daland has sought refuge from a storm with his ship and his crew. While they are sleeping, a ship with red sails appears in the bay. Its captain emerges and tells his story. He is the cursed Dutchman who must sail the seas forever, only let ashore once every seven years. If he can find a woman who is faithful unto death to him, he can escape his fate, but this hope seems frail.

Daland enters his ship to find out who this stranger is. When the Dutchman discovers that the Norwegian lives nearby, he offers him a box of jewels if he can stay the night. Daland accepts it hungrily. Seeing these riches, he does not think twice in granting the Dutchman his daughter's hand in marriage. Having settled these matters, the two ships prepare to depart.

Act II

At home, Daland's daughter Senta is so captivated by a painting of the legendary Flying Dutchman that she plain forgets her spinning. Teased by her friends, the girl tells them the tragic story about the man who must roam the seas forever unless he finds true, eternal love. Senta is interrupted in her romantic tale by Erik, who has come to announce the arrival of her father's ships. He has overheard Senta's last remark that she would like to save the Dutchman, and is not pleased, seeing that he would like to marry Senta himself. But she is true to the man of her dreams. Daland and the Dutchman enter, and the girl and the cursed captain become transfixed as they see destiny in each other's eyes. Her father, pleased that he has found such a wealthy suitor for his daughter, blesses their betrothal.

Act III

At the shore, villagers and seamen celebrate the safe return of the ship. They call to the Dutchman's crew to partake in their festivities, but their ship is silent. As they start taunting the crewmen, however, these reply in a mocking chorus. Erik arrives on the heels of Senta, pleading with her to remember their love. As the Dutchman overhears this, he thinks she has been unfaithful. He announces to everyone who he is, boards his ship, and departs. Senta, faithful unto death, runs up on a cliff and throws herself into the sea.

With this self sacrifice, the Flying Dutchman is redeemed, and his ship can be seen taking off into the sky, carrying both him and his faithful love.


The libretto, written by the composer, is based on Heinrich Heine's telling of the story, but the romantic twist was added by Wagner - that great Romantic - himself. In a note, Richard Wagner writes of well-being hearing the rhythm in sailor's chants, which later became and inspiration for the opera. The Flying Dutchman was first shown on the stage in Dresden in 1843, a year after his first great success, Rienzi. This time his opera was ill received as too eccentric by the public. Only later did we - the people - realise the greatness of this opera and the next, Tannhauser.

Sources: The Flying Dutchman, my own head, and sundry websites, the best of which is http://www.atlantaopera.org/2002/dutchman.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.