The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Thirty-Three
A CRUSHED CERVICAL VERTEBRA

TITLE: Instructions concerning a crushed vertebra of his neck.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a crushed vertebra in his neck, (and) thou findest that one vertebra has fallen into the next one, while he is voiceless and cannot speak; his falling head downward has caused that one vertebra crush into the next one; (and) shouldst thou find that he in unconscious of his two arms and his two legs because of it.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having a crushed vertebra in his neck; he is unconscious of his two arms (and) his two legs (and) he is speechless. An ailment not to be treated".

NOTE A: As for: "A crushed vertebra in his neck," he is speaking of the fact that one vertebra of his neck has fallen into the next, one penetrating into the other, there being no movement to and fro.

NOTE B: As for: "His falling head downward has caused that one vertebra crush into the next, "it means that he has fallen head downward upon his head, driving one vertebra of his neck into the next.

case thirty-two
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case thirty-four

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.