This was Sting's first solo album, as well as an instrumental track on that album.
Released June 1985. 
 
Track Listing:
 
If You Love Somebody Set Them Free (4.14)
Love Is The Seventh Wave (3:30)
Russians (3.57)
Childrens Crusade (5.00)
Shadows In The Rain (4.56)
We Work The Black Seam (5.40)
Consider Me Gone (4.21)
The Dream Of The Blue Turtles (instrumental) (1.15)
Moon Over Bourbon Street (3.59)
Fortress Around Your Heart (4.48)
 
This album was released before the last new studio material from The Police. Thus there was no clean break between Sting's solo career and his career with The Police. After recording this album, String and the other members of The Police entered the studio in 1986 intending to create a whole new album, but (due to feuding between Sting and Stewart Copeland) only produced a re-recording of  "Don't Stand So Close To Me". That track was released on the album Every Breath You Take: The Singles, which came out after Dream of the Blue Turtles.
 
Dream of the Blue Turtles plays like a greatest hits album: it is the kind of album you listen to from beginning to end. Nevertheless, something is usually lost when an artist goes from playing in a band to having complete creative control, and this album is no exception. Perhaps having to compromise your own creative vision with someone else's results in a discipline about the work not found in solo material thereafter. As much as I like some of John Lennon's and Paul McCartney's solo work, I prefer The Beatles.  Another example of this phenomena IMHO are Morrissey and Johnny Marr of The Smiths, etc. What's ironic about the combination of Stewart Copeland and Sting is that despite being magic together, they never got along; in fact, they hated each other. Despite (or perhaps because of) their differences, while Sting's solo work is good, Sting's work with The Police is superior. 
 
Conversely, as if it is there to explicitly poke a hole in this point of view, the one Police song on this album "Shadows in the Rain" is a major improvement over the original, largely owing to the increased tempo coupled with the outstanding performances by notable jazz musicians, Omar Hakim, Kenny Kirkland, and Branford Marsalis.
 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.