This write up contains spoilers.
Futurama Episode #36: The Day the Earth Stood Stupid
Production #3ACV07
Date: 18/02/2001
Intro Caption: "80% Entertainment By Volume"

Plot Synopsis:
The episode begins at a pet show, where Leela has entered Nibbler. When Bender and Dr. Zoidberg find out that first prize is $500 and a year supply of dog food, Bender enters Dr. Zoidberg in the show as a hard-shelled terrier. Dr. Zoidberg wins second place, and Nibbler wins a special prize for dumbest pet in show. When a race of flying brains with the power to make people stupid invade earth, Nibbler returns to his home planet with Leela. Here, she discovers that Nibbler is actually a Nibblonean, an ancient race of telepathic creatures. They tell Leela that the only person who can resist the brain spawn's moron-making power is Fry, and it is up to him to save Earth. She returns to Earth with a note instructing Fry but he blows his nose with it and throws it away. Since she is affected by the brain spawn's power, she can't remember the Nibblonean's advice. Fry figures out that the brain spawn leader must be at the library, since "a giant brain is baisically a giant nerd." He proceeds to the library with Leela and weakens the brain spawn by thinking. The brain spawn leader trys to trap Fry and Leela in the mental universe created by books. Fry defeats him by writing his own book where the brain spawn win and leave the planet, then traps the brain spawn leader in it. When the brain spawn leave, the only person who remembers what happened is Fry and no one believes him.

Memorable quotes:

Fry: "Don't listen to them Leela. People said I was dumb, but I proved them."

Fry: "What are we going to do?"
The Professor: "I know! Let's play the lottery."
Amy: "No, let's buy internet stock!"
Zoidberg: "On margin! Zoidy wanna buy on margin!"
Fry: "I know what's going on here. You've all become idiots."
Bender: "Hey, let's all join the Reform Party!"

Fry: "Now he's trapped in the book I wrote. A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors."
Brain spawn leader: "The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! I am leaving Earth for no raisin!"

Things you may not have noticed:
A sign at the pet show says "Award Ceremony in Progress (no pooping)"
Two of the booths at the pet show are "Kibbles and Snouts" and "Soylent Chow"

Go back to: Futurama Episode Guide

Other things you may not have noticed

The home planet of the Nibbloneans bears a marked resemblance to the Minbari homeworld in terms of architecture. This slight link to Babylon 5 is confirmed when we see the Nibbloneans in their great hall - which looks exactly like the council chamber of the Grey Council, ruling body of the Minbari.

Yes, it might be a coincidence.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.