Late 80's pop band formed by Jimmy Somerville (singer)and Richard Coles (keyboard). They made two albums: 'Communards' (1986); and 'Red' (1987).

Notable singles from the first album include the fabulous 'Don't Leave Me This Way' which Sarah Jane Morris sang on: a very 80's track with truck-loads of energy and a key change two-thirds of the way through (and you thought it was just Bananarama and Bucks Fizz who pulled that one); 'So Cold the Night' which (along with 'Sometimes' by Erasure) I sang all the way through my O-Levels 'cos I couldn't get the bleedin' thing out of my head. Great tune; and 'You are My World' which is just excellent.

The second album seemed to me a little lack-lustre, but 'Never Can Say Goodbye' was fabulous and released as a single.

The whole thing didn't last very long though. Somerville, forming the band almost the moment he left Bronski Beat, carried on with a solo career when Coles went to work in the media as a religious commentator. Mind you, despite only releasing two albums, the band was a key part of the period, and listening to them is a real nostalgia trip for anyone who's about 30 or so.

Brief, but still excellent.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.