A long-running CBS comedy/variety show (1967-1978), the stylistic successor to Your Show of Shows, and a precursor to The Tracey Ullman Show. It was a combination of sketch comedy and musical comedy; the supporting cast included Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Vicki Lawrence, and Lyle Waggoner.

The show always began with Miss Burnett taking questions from the audience, and ended with her singing her "I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together" theme song. In between, you might have parodies of old films like Sunset Boulevard or Mildred Pierce, or some of the set pieces developed over the years, like Burnett's Mrs. Wiggins, a secretary whose ineptitude exasperated her boss, Conway's Mr. Tudball, or As the Stomach Turns, a soap opera parody. You might also get a well-crafted medley of show tunes.

The "Ed and Eunice" segments led to a later spinoff, a sitcom called Mama's Family (Lawrence was Mama), but without Burnett, Korman, and Conway, this was mainly a pointless exercise.

Burnett made attempts to bring the show back, but it was an anachronism to begin with (Your Show of Shows dates back to the early days of television, and, like Burnett's show, had a definite non-boomer pre-rock sensibility), however excellent it was during its original run.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.