Once known as the Royal Artillery Hotel, this Melbourne pub was a true dive until taken over by its current publicans in the mid 1990s. A coat of paint and some renovations later and The Arthouse opened under what had been an unofficial nickname "The Arthouse" either earning or living up to its name with inspired murals decorating most walls.

From opening onwards, The Arthouse became known as a premiere venue for Punk music in Melbourne and a starting point for many bands of rock-related genres. This venue is intimately associated with the history of many well-known Punk bands and is the preferred venue for bands such as The Anti-nowhere League and Mach Pelican when they tour Melbourne.

In addition to its role as a nexus for Melbourne Punk and Metal bands, it also serves as a backpacker hostel and provides long term accommodation to those so inclined. Since the introduction of anti-smoking laws in Melbourne in July 2007, an upstairs beer garden has been opened up providing fresh air to be polluted by smokers. BBQs are occasionally held in this area for private functions, these days such BBQs are the only form of catering provided for non-residents. Special mention might be made of the traditional Orphan's Christmas held for residents, staff and friends, an institution that has been running for many years.

In keeping with its working-class clientèle and unpretentious ambience, drink prices are quite modest. Happy hour is between 17:00 and 19:00 and provides basic spirits for AUD$3.50 or by the pint for AUD$10.50 though you won't get any lime in your pint of G&T.

The Arthouse made quite an acceptable venue for a nodermeet with Heisenberg on the 25th of September, 2007. SwimmingMonkey and BlackPawn attended to pay their respects to the pod-caster who was in town for a conference.

Address:
616 Elizabeth Street (corner of Queensberry Street)
Melbourne VIC 3000
Australia

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.