Thameslink Rail Ltd provide commuter rail services on the British National Rail network between Bedford, London and Brighton. There are notionally two separate services: the CityFlyer, serving the Bedford to Brighton route, and the CityMetro, serving Luton to Sutton routes. The CityFlyer has better rolling stock, but in fact both kinds of train can be found almost anywhere on the network, due to the slightly erratic running patterns of the trains. At present (2002), there are also a number of WAGN trains in use due to high demand. Two airports, Luton Airport and Gatwick Airport are served by the service. Both are referred to as London airports, despite being as much as twenty miles from the edge of London.

The 'link' part of the name refers to the fact that in British Rail days, Thameslink was a project to re-open and rebuild the line from Farringdon to Blackfriars and thus create a more viable commuter line. A station called Holborn Viaduct was closed, which had stood at one end of a bridge over Ludgate Hill. This station was replaced by City Thameslink, which is in a tunnel passing under the same road. This, as a pleasant side effect, re-opened a long-lost view of St Paul's Cathedral from towards Ludgate Circus. The line was privatised along with the rest of British Rail during the last Conservative adminstration.

       Bedford
          |
       Flitwick
          |
      Harlington
          |
       Leagrave
          |
        Luton
          |
Luton Airport Parkway
          |
      Harpenden
          |
   St Albans (City)
          |
       Radlett
          |
Elstree and Borehamwood
          |
   Mill Hill Broadway
          |
       Hendon
          |
     Cricklewood
          |
West Hampstead Thameslink
          |
     Kentish Town
          |
King's Cross Thameslink
          |
      Farringdon
          |\
          | \--------\
          |           \
    City Thameslink    \--Barbican----Moorgate
          |
     Blackfriars
          |\
          | \--------------\
          |                 \
Elephant and Castle    London Bridge
          |                   \
 Loughborough Junction         \
          |                     \
     Herne Hill                  \
          |                       \
     Tulse Hill                    \
          |\                       |
          | \--------------------\ |
          |                       \|
      Streatham              East Croydon
          |\                       |
          | \--------\             |
          |          |          Redhill
       Tooting       |             |
          |       Mitcham          |
          |       Junction         |
    Haydons Road     |             |
          |          |      Gatwick Airport
     Wimbledon  Hackbridge         |
          |          |             |
  Wimbledon Chase    |             |
          |      Carshalton  Three Bridges
    South Merton     |             |
          |       Sutton           |
    Morden South     |             |
          |     West Sutton    Balcombe
      St Helier      |             |
          \          /             |
          Sutton Common            |
                             Haywards Heath
                                   |
                              Wivelsfield
                                   |
                              Burgess Hill
                                   |
                               Hassocks
                                   |
                             Preston Park
                                   |
                               Brighton

National Rail connections to GNER and others at King's Cross Thameslink for King's Cross; Midland Mainline at King's Cross Thameslink for St Pancras, Luton Airport Parkway, Luton and Bedford; Connex South Eastern at Blackfriars; Connex South Central and others at Brighton; and the Gatwick Express and others at Gatwick Airport.

London Underground connections to the Metropolitan, Circle and Hammersmith and City Lines at King's Cross Thameslink for King's Cross St Pancras, Farringdon, Barbican and Moorgate; to the District and Circle Lines at Blackfriars; to the Northern Line at Kentish Town, King's Cross Thameslink for King's Cross St Pancras, Moorgate, London Bridge and Elephant and Castle; to the Jubilee Line at West Hampstead Thameslink for West Hampstead; and to the District Line at Wimbledon.

Croydon Tramlink connections at Wimbledon, Mitcham Junction and East Croydon.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.