The Baby with Tetralogy of Fallot

Tetralogy of Fallot is a type of heart problem which consists of four different heart defects.


  • - The first defect is called a ventricular septal defect (VSD). This is a hole between the two bottom chambers (ventricles) of the heart.
  • - The second defect is called Pulmonary Stenosis. This is a narrowing at or just below the pulmonary valve.
  • - The third part of Tetralogy of Fallot involves the aorta being positioned over the ventricular septal defect instead of in the left ventricle.
  • - Finally, the right ventricle in infants born with Tetralogy of Fallot is more muscular than normal.


Some children with Tetralogy of Fallot have blue spells which are also called "tet spells." These spells occur because of a decrease in the amount of blood going to the lungs. Spells are more likely to occur between the ages of 2 to 4 months of life. They are also more likely to occur after waking up. Most babies with Tetralogy of Fallot are pink and do not experience tet spells. You may notice that when your baby cries, there is some change in color. This is expected and not a true spell.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.