Phonetic spelling of the letter 'T'.

Anything resembling said letter, including (BNLT):

Also, a Unix command used to split the standard output of a program to one or more files and standard output. Useful for logging a program or command's output.

TECO = T = teergrube

tee n.,vt.

[Purdue] A carbon copy of an electronic transmission. "Oh, you're sending him the bits to that? Slap on a tee for me." From the Unix command tee(1), itself named after a pipe fitting (see plumbing). Can also mean `save one for me', as in "Tee a slice for me!" Also spelled `T'.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk.

As the Jargon File says, an UNIX command for output redirection.

tee(1) is usually used to save the output of a program to a file, while still showing everything on terminal.

Tee reads input from stdin, and writes to stdout and file specified on the command line. GNU version accepts flags -a (--append), that makes the program to append to rather than overwrite the file, and -i (--ignore-interrupts), that makes it to ignore interrupt signals.

It is highly useful for a lot of purposes - for example, to save output of a game. It is very often used as a recorder of Nethack games (many Windows gamers found this program Infinitely Neat and immediately proceeded to install Linux or at least cygwin =)

(Quick guide for Nethackers: nethack | tee -a nethack.out. To replay, cat nethack.out - or, you may try to get some program for sloooow output, such as "slowcat", a program that can be got from my home page, or get the Perl version from Google's Usenet archives =)

There are also some related programs: script(1) and expect(1).

TEE is also an initialism for the Tertiary Entrance Exams. Similar to the American SAT system, the TEE is held in Western Australia every November and for many WA students, the culmination of five long, hard years of high school. The TEE is run by the Tertiary Institutions Service Centre and is used in calculating a TES (Tertiary Entrance Score) and and TER (Tertiary Entrance Rank) which university places for WA universities are decided on.

Unlike some other states final examinations, the TEE is half of the score used to make up a TES. The other half coming from the rest of a students year 12 mark. TEE's are not always multiple choice. English, History and associated subjects usually have 4 or 5 essays to write, while Calculus and Physics have longer calculation questions.

To gain a TES, a student has to pass some requirements:


Sit four TEE subjects

Sit in at least one List 1 and one List 2 subject. These subjects are:
List one:
Ancient History
Art
Chinese: Advanced
Chinese: Second Language
Drama Studies
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
History
Indonesian: Advanced
Indonesian: Second Language
Italian
Japanese: Advanced
Japanese: Second Language
Malay: Advanced
Modern Greek
Music
Political & Legal Studies
List two:
Accounting
Applicable Mathematics (basic linear algebra)
Biology
Calculus
Chemistry
Discrete Mathematics (kinda like Applicable but easier)
Geology
Human Biology
Information systems
Physical Science
Physics
Unlisted:
English (doesn't count for either)

Pass either English or English Literature.

The marks from the TEE's are then added to the students school marks and then scaled according to subject difficulty (e.g. a 70% in Calculus is worth a lot more than a 70% in Information Systems) and school performance (i.e if a student did well but their school did shit, the student goes down with the school; it's unfair, I was a victim of this as well). The combination to get the best up scaling is: Calculus, Applicable, Physics, Chemistry, English Literature and Economics (aptly named the super six).

Much like the SAT scores, the TES is quite often used as a dicksize war between graduates, although by the time the university semesters start (around March) most students have already forgotten about the whole process.

Tee (?), n. [Cf. Icel. tjA to show, mark.]

(a)

The mark aimed at in curling and in quoits.

(b)

The nodule of earth from which the ball is struck in golf.

 

© Webster 1913


Tee, n.

A short piece of pipe having a lateral outlet, used to connect a line of pipe with a pipe at a right angle with the line; -- so called because it resembles the letter T in shape.

 

© Webster 1913


Tee, n.

The letter T, t; also, something shaped like, or resembling in form, the letter T.

 

© Webster 1913


Tee (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Teed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Teeing.] (Golf)

To place (the ball) on a tee.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.