Production Information

Studio: Paramount Pictures
Official Release Date: October 15, 2004
Director: Trey Parker
Creators/Producers/Writers: Trey Parker and Matt Stone
Producers: More folks than you can count

Review

Caution: SPOILERS AHEAD!

Don't say I didn't warn you

You asked for it

'Twas the funniest thing I have seen in some time.

The basic premise is much like any other campy movie: a team of American super-agents are trying to defeat some foe. In this case, it's terrorism (not a surprise). Each one brings a special talent to the team. The team members are Joe, Lisa, Sarah, and Chris.

We first meet Team America in Paris, where they foil a terrorist plot to pass along some WMDs to some other contact. But that's not important. The important part is where Team America levels Paris to do it. It looks like the WMD went off. Needless to say, the French are their usual grateful selves.

So the director of Team America, Spottswood desides they need to infiltrate the terrorists, so they pick up Gary, currently working on Broadway to perform the act.

At this point I feel it necessary to note that if you aren't caucasian by nature, you might be extremely offended by many of the jokes in this movie. Also, if you are caucasian, you might be extremely offended by many of the jokes in this movie.

Gary infiltrates the terrorists in a not-so subtle nod to Star Wars, and ends up foiling the plot.

Another aside: Matt and Trey point out that the scenery wasn't done accurately based on fact. Instead, it was done based upon how Americans perceive what the world looks like. This is important to note from Paris through North Korea.

So Team America returns to their HQ for debriefing and cocktails, and sex. Yep, the infamous puppet sex scene is still in, and knowing they cut a bunch of stuff makes me wonder what they left out.

The Buffy the Vampire Slayerbig bad for the movie is Kim Jong Il, which is apparent from the media hype. He has a nickel-plated .45 and the attitude to match. His goal: see the world decend into chaos. And he's using the terrorists to carry it out.

But not just the terrorists. He also uses the Film Actor's Guild and their desire for "peace" to get what he wants. Alec Baldwin, Matt Damon, Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn, and Samuel Jackson are just a few of the non-cameos in the movie. None of the actor's listed here actually lent their voices to the movie. The best part here is that Matt and Trey name names, which is a nice change from the normal Hollywood nicities.

To crash to the finale, terrorists actually carry out an attack, the team falls apart, and they have to come together at the end to save the day.

My Impressions

First, the scenery is better than most movies I have seen in recent memory. The attention to detail is phenomenal.

Second, the acting is as to be expected from Hollywood, but what do you expect? They are puppets.

Third, the action is so over the top as to be entertaining. Think of any action movie you have ever seen, and multiply it times a thousand. The movie is obviously a satire, but in being so outrageous it actually adds to the movie, rather than causing it to be a usual Hollywood eye-roller.

The biggest disappointment is that George W. Bush was not in the movie. The clips led me to believe that Dick Cheney made an appearance, but it's really Hans Blix. Tony Blair makes an appearance, but doesn't have a speaking part.

Finally, and this is my favorite part: it's a musical. This is even better than my favorite character. The music is so perfect that it's obvious that every note and every lyric was treated like a fine china collection. Drop one piece and the whole is ruined. Each song adds to the movie and will alternate between making you laugh and making you think. I tried doing both during one song and it made me dizzy.

Team America: World Police is rated "R", and I advise leaving the kids at home. Hire a baby sitter and run to the theater.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.