Tarhun
Also: Teshub (Harrian); Taru (Hurrian); Tarhunt (Luwian)

Hittite/Hurrian storm god

Tarhun was the Anatolian storm-god, and as such fits in the Indo-European schema quite well: like Thor and Taranus, he is usually depicted holding an ax or mace and a triple thunderbolt, like Zeus/Jupiter his sacred animal is the bull, and like all Indo-European (and perhaps many Near East) storm gods his most prominent myth being the slaying of the serpent Illuyankas.

His consort is the sun goddess Arinna. In Hurrian myth, he is given a son named Sarruma, god of mountains; in Hittite myth, his son is Telepinu, an agricultural god whose dissapearance brings destruction. Tarhun/Teshub complains to Hannahhanna, the mother of the gods, but ultimately has to find Telepinu himself.

His origins are told in the "Song of Kumarbi" (also called "Kingship in Heaven"): Kumarbi the son of the sky god Anu bit off his father's genitals. In doing so, he learns he is now pregnant. Kumarbi is sliced open, "giving birth" to Tarhun/Teshub. Tarhun then overthrows Kumarbi. The story has often been pointed out as being similar to Hesiod's Theogony, with the violent succession of Ouranos, Cronos, and Zeus. It's not surprising given the contacts between Greeks, Anatolian cultures, and the Near East.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.