Tapestries is where you go when your libido is out of control and you just want to screw something. At least that's what it seems like much of the time. The few times I've been there I've found myself smothered by a well-endowed cat-morph or three, not that I mind but most of the time I'd rather exercise the mind rather than the penis.

While several of the other writeups here suggest that Tapestries MUCK is little more than a virtual whorehouse, there is a lot more to it than that. While it is very true that plenty of sexual activities take place, there is a lot of other stuff that goes on, as well. In fact, I would dare to say that Tapestries MUCK is perhaps one of the best places to go should you be looking for truly expert roleplayers. It's interesting to note Zorin's writeup, where he states that he'd rather "exercise the mind rather than the penis", but the way I see it, with Tapestries MUCK, it's possible to exercise either -- soley at your discretion.

There is no doubt that Tapestries MUCK was founded for the sole purpose of offering some kind of 'virtual playspace' for fans of the BDSM sexual subculture. However, that is by no means a limiting factor. Any type of play (sexual or not) is permitted on 'Taps', provided that you don't disrupt anyone else's activity. Indeed, if sexual roleplay is not your game, there exists a 'g-rated' flag for placement in your wixxx. For the most part, from what I have noticed, I haven't seen very many furs who are interested in heavy BDSM at all. Most are simply interested in so-called 'light' play, a little scratching or nibbling of fur here or there, but no straight out bondage.

Therefore, you do not have to be involved with the BDSM community at all to enjoy your time at Taps. The MUCK has attracted a wide array of participants, ranging from those who simply desire a non-sexual (yet intimate) roleplay, to anime (hentai or not) fans, housewives, curious women (or men), and plain everyday people like you and I. The MUCK usually attracts anywhere from 400 to 500 people logged in concurrently per evening, which is no small number, ensuring that there will always be someone online who shares the same interests that you do.

As for roleplaying, there seem to be many unspoken rules about it that point to the fact that Tapestries MUCK offers a high-quality roleplaying environment. People who cannot spell are not welcome, complex scenes with an interesting and detailed plot are commonplace, most participating characters have very interesting and detailed backgrounds, and everyone respects one another (and their scenes). For example, if you were to walk into a room with a handful of furs in it, and began to roleplay about anything, most of them will roleplay along with you.

A concern often cited by an old friend of mine while participating in strict roleplaying-only MUCKs or MUDs is that either the number of players whom actually roleplay is low, or, the administration gets in the way of any active roleplaying (i.e. by implementing hindering policies, or having a rogue executive). However, I must say that for the duration of my stay at Taps (nearing four years as of this writing), I have never actually seen -- with my own eyes -- the administration do anything. Largely, they seem to hold some kind of 'hands off' policy, which allows furs to work out difficulties among themselves, unless the problem is far more serious.

Naturally, there is much more to Tapestries MUCK than can be described in a single writeup. The only way to find out is to see it for yourself -- grab a good MUD client, register for a (non-human!) character on their webpage (http://www.fur.com/tapestries/), connect to tapestries.fur.com port 2069 after you've been approved, and explore. The world of Tapestries MUCK is a massive world where there exist a wide variety of locations, characters, people, and ideas. Keep your mind open at all times, and don't be afraid of what you might see.

After all, there's a reason why it's called Tapestries :)


Please, if there exist any factual or spelling/grammar errors in my writeup, /MSG me and let me know about it instead of downvoting. Thank you :)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.