Tamahome is one of the Suzaku Shichi Seishi (Seven Celestial Warriors of the god Suzaku) in the manga and anime series Fushigi Yuugi, originally drawn by Watase Yuu. His name is written 鬼宿 where the first character is the same as the distinguishing mark on his forehead (oni - literally "devil", but here meaning "ogre").

Alternate Name: 琮鬼宿(Soukishuku)
Birthdate: June 28th
Zodiac Sign: Crab (Cancer)
Constellation: Crab (Cancer)
Age: 17
Height: 180 cm (6 feet)
Blood Type: O
Siblings: Chuuei, Shunkei (younger brothers); Gyokuran, Yuiren (younger sisters)

(Some mild spoilers from here on)

He is the first seishi that the main character Miaka meets when she enters the Book of the Four Gods, and soon they fall strongly in love. He seems selfish at first because his primary hobby is saving money, but he is really doing this to help care for his father, who is very ill. While Tamahome is away from home, his younger brother Chuuei has to care for their father and the other children. Tamahome becomes incredibly devoted to Miaka and will fight anything to protect her. After she becomes the Suzaku no Miko (Priestess of Suzaku), her best friend Yui, who has also been drawn into the world of the Four Gods, becomes the Seiryuu no Miko (Priestess of Seiryuu) and not only opposes Miaka, but tries to steal Tamahome from her. Even though he is forced to be away from Miaka and with Yui for some time, he continues to reject Yui and think only of Miaka. At times the sappiness between them soars, but really theirs is one of the most beautiful love stories I have seen in anime.

Sources: The first artbook (original Japanese) and the anime itself.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.