This style of omelette is used for tamago-zushi (see Sushi Talk) but is great just cut into rectangles or triangles and served cold with a dipping sauce of shoyu and wasabi.

Unfortunately, you really need a special rectangular skillet with deep sides do it.

What You Will Need
6 eggs
1 tbsp mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
2/3 tsp shoyu
salt to taste
grapeseed or other neutral oil

What Now?
Beat the eggs into a large bowl and add the seasonings, mixing well. Please don't let the eggs form a foam.

Using a rectangular skillet (especially designed for making tamago), heat the pan for a while. Swab the pan with grapeseed oil.

Pour 1/3 of the beaten egg mixture into the pan and quickly spread over the pan by lifting the skillet and turning it from side to side. When the surface of the tamago forms bubbles, pop them with a toothpick. Cook the tamago until the surface is semi-solid.

Now this gets interesting. Use a hashi (chopstick) to lift the edge of the tomago from the pan. Use the hashi to fold the tamago piece from the upper side to the lower side 2 to 3 times, so that the tamago forms into a roll.

Pour a tiny bit of oil over the left space of the pan, move the tamago roll to one side. Pour in another 1/3rd of the beaten eggs, and let the mixture attach itself to the tamago roll. When the mixture becomes semi-cooked, fold the tamago piece again as before.

Repeat once more and you are done!

Allow to cool (perhaps in the refrigerator), slice, and make sushi or just serve with rice and a dipping sauce. Yay!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.