Tall Poppy Syndrome is the belief that anyone who is successful or even ambitious needs to be 'cut down' and brought into line with everyone else.

Origins
In the 20th century(ish), a New Zealand eager to move away from the English Class System steered itself toward becoming more egalitarian. This, however, led to a belief that successful people must have been devious to get where they are and that they have (or will take) too much for themselves, thus creating hostility.

Symptoms
Anything ranging from mild dislike to intense loathing toward people that are more successful or more ambitious than you yourself are.

Places Found
Although Tall Poppy Syndrome can be found all over the world, it is particularly concentrated in the Antipodes.

Cures
The only known cure is amassing riches, however this often spreads the Syndrome to other people.

Examples
The best worldwide example would be the 'disliking' (to be polite) of Bill Gates. Although people give reasons varied and miscellanious, the underlying reason for the great majority is that we are all jealous of his vast fortunes and success.

Related Syndromes

See Also: World Famous in New Zealand


N.B. Although this is meant as (a poor example of) humour and should be taken with a grain of salt, so-called 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' does exist in New Zealand.
P.S. and Australia
P.P.S. they probably stole it from us like something else

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.