When the temperature is decent, but not too hot, it's alright to take your little critter outside for a while. There are a few things you have to keep in mind, though, if you decide to partake in this activity:

  • Hamsters can run quite fast, so keep it very close to you, possibly even under its cage top if it's handy.
  • The world will seem huge to such a tiny little thing, keep that in mind, it will probably be pretty scared at first.
  • Make sure the place you're going to be playing with it outside is hamster-safe. That is, nowhere it might hurt itself, and away from any obvious danger.
  • They like to eat grass, and they can, it won't hurt them so long as there are no chemicals on it. You have to be in a clean area as well, or they may contract an illness.
The best place to play with your hamster outside is on nice green grass so that as they adjust they can munch a little. They also love clover, so if there are any clover patches around, feel free to set the little guy there. Sitting beside your hamster so that it can walk along-side your leg is a good idea, they like to be against something, it makes them feel protected, and you can keep a better eye on it. They generally don't try to run away from you if you're sitting in the middle of nowhere, it's too scary for them, but watch closely anyway.

They like to go outside once in a while, just be very careful. If they got lost out there, you likely wouldn't ever see them again, and they're quite susceptible to neighborhood cats or any other natural predators of rodents.
Yes, this is about a gerbil, not a hamster. I figured it was close enough.

My first gerbil was named Curiosity. I was ten. It was a fully-grown gerbil, a black one. Black was what I had wanted.

I had made preparations far in advance. I borrowed and read every book about small rodents that I could find in the library. My father helped me make a wire cage, two square feet of space for my gerbil to enjoy. Finally, my mother took me to the pet store and we brought home my gerbil.

I took Curiosity into every room of the house, showing my new pet around. I let it scrabble around on various surfaces while I held its tail. I brought it outside.

I thought the animal would like the grass. My mother warned me that the nearby cat was surely a threat, but it looked like it was ignoring the gerbil. I was in the midst of telling her so when the cat snatched the gerbil right out of my hand.

My mother and I screamed, and the cat ran across the yard. My father came to our call, and he threw what he happened to be holding -- a hammer -- at the cat. (My father later admitted that he probably could have caught the cat but he felt it would have been more traumatic since the gerbil would probably have been unsalvageable.)It escaped under the house to eat my pet.

I ran into the house, screaming and crying. I climbed up on a chair because I felt like the floor was covered several feet deep in dead black gerbils. I had nightmares about a giant black gerbil coming to take its revenge on me.

My mother quieted me down by calling the pet shop that sold me the gerbil. The lady there told her that after we left, they got a brand new litter of baby gerbils. I can't remember whether I went with my mother to get the new pet, but I remember my delight in the tiny white and dark-gray gerbil, whom I named Critter. Critter lived nearly four and a half years, which is a ~33% longer than its expected life span.

I never took Critter outside.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.