Short for Tyrannosaurus Rex, their original name, Brit glam band. Formed in mid-60s London; Marc Bolan and Steve Peregrine Took were members. Took left in '69 (died of 'asphyxiation' in '80), band active until Bolan's '77 fatal car crash.

Their biggest (#10) US hit was '72s "Bang a Gong (get it on)" (backed with "Raw Ramp") which was a UK#1... as was glam, they were much bigger in the UK, where they had many #1s.

Tyrannosaurus Rex was Marc Bolan's hippie folkie trip; great stuff, with node-sized LP titles. After a name change, to "T-Rex", Bolan formed a fully-electric band and boogied and glammed his way to A-list rock stardom, with perks like more alcoholage and his own TV variety show. Classix: "Telegram Sam" (covered by Bauhaus - inferior to their later "Ziggy"), "Get it On", "Jeepster"... all done by early '73. Bolan's '77 death ended his cash-in-on-punk comeback bid.

long Tyrannosaurus Rex album titles:

My People Were Fair and Had Sky in their Hair, But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows and Prophets, Seers, and Sages, The Angels of the Ages. Then mercifully came Unicorn and A Beard of Stars. The first official T-Rex LP was eponymous; Marc Bolan didn't revisit the long-title route until Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow or a Creamed Cage in August, part of his decline to "former teen idol". Your Useless Node for today. You're welcome.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.