Has any one of you ever had one of these little bastards?

From the outside, they just look like some slab of metal and red plastic. But wait until you start opening them up...Depending on the size of the knife, you can find everything from a bottle opener to 3 different kinds of screwdrivers, a saw, a clock, a magnifying glass... This little sucker isn't just good for the wilderness, I've used my SAK to completely dismantle and rebuild a whole computer. In a pinch, you can use the large and small knives (which are included in practically all versions) as screwdrivers too. Anyway, the fact remains: For around 50$, you can get a small and utterly utilitarian piece of worksmanship that will come in handy almost every day, in almost every lifestyle.

The Swiss Army Knife is a small, mulitpurpose tool. There are many models from several manufacturers but Victorinox knives are the originals. Typically, the tools will have a knife, screwdrivers, can openers, etc. Higher end models have pliers, scissors, chisels, clocks and even altimeters.

It was designed by Karl Elsener in 1884 in a Swiss village called Ibach. The Swiss Army took their first devlivery in 1891. Elsener continually developed the knife to have more functions and he made it lighter and stronger.

Global sales rocketed between 1945 and 1949 when the knives became available through the US army. In fact, it was American GI's who coined the phrase "Swiss Army Knife". The tool is now recognised in over 100 countries worldwide.

Elsener's company, Victorinox, is named after his mother (Victoria) and Inox, a type of stainless steel, used to manufacture the knives. They have over 100 models of Swiss Army Knife and manufacture 34 000 a day.

Victorinox now have a Cybertool model, which has tools for home computer repair.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.