Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
5 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 11/2-inch pieces
Juice and zest of two oranges
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 pinches sea salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons kuzu dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup maple syrup
11/2 cups rolled oats, ground into oat flour in a food processor
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 pinch sea salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
1 cup pecan halves
3 tablespoons barley malt
3 tablespoons maple syrup
back to Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of water and boil until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and mash or purée until smooth and creamy.
- Add orange juice and zest, spices, salt, vanilla, maple syrup(1/2 cup) and dissolved kuzu. Mix well and set aside.
- To make the pie crust, combine the oat flour, whole-wheat pastry flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together oil, maple syrup(1/4 cup) and water. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well-combined. With moistened fingertips, pat the oat mixture into an oiled 8-inch pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pour sweet potato filling into the baked crust. Leave enough room for the pecan topping. Set aside.
- Scatter pecans on baking sheet and bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes, or until toasted. Combine barley malt and maple syrup(3 tbsp) and toss with pecans so they're shiny but not drenched. Place pecans mosaic-fashion on top of pie filling. Bake about 40 minutes, or until pecan topping is bubbling and caramelized and the crust is brown at the edges. Cool pie before slicing.