Surah 90 The City - Al-Balad, 20 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- I do call to witness this City;-
- And thou art a freeman of this City;-
- And (the mystic ties of) parent and child;-
- Verily We have created man into toil and struggle.
- Thinketh he, that none hath power over him?
- He may say (boastfully); Wealth have I squandered
- Thinketh he that none beholdeth him?
- Have We not made for him a pair of eyes?-
- And a tongue, and a pair of lips?-
- And shown him the two highways?
- But he hath made no haste on the path that is
- And what will explain to thee the path that is
- (It is:) freeing the bondman;
- Or the giving of food in a day of privation
- To the orphan with claims of relationship,
- Or to the indigent (down) in the dust.
- Then will he be of those who believe, and enjoin
patience, (constancy, and self-restraint), and enjoin
deeds of kindness and compassion.
- Such are the Companions of the Right Hand.
- But those who reject Our Signs, they are the
(unhappy) Companions of the Left Hand.
- On them will be Fire vaulted over (all round).
Surah 89 The Dawn
Surah 90 The City
Surah 91 The Sun