Surah 34 Saba - Saba', 54 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Praise be to God, to Whom belong all things in the
heavens and on earth: to Him be Praise in the
Hereafter: and He is Full of Wisdom, acquainted with
- He knows all that goes into the earth, and all that
comes out thereof; all that comes down from the sky and
all that ascends thereto and He is the Most Merciful,
- The Unbelievers say, "Never to us will come the
Hour": Say, "Nay! but most surely, by my Lord, it will
come upon you;- by Him Who knows the unseen,- from Whom
is not hidden the least little atom in the heavens or
on earth: Nor is there anything less than that, or
greater, but is in the Record Perspicuous:
- That He may reward those who believe and work deeds
of righteousness: for such is Forgiveness and a
Sustenance Most Generous."
- But those who strive against Our Signs, to
frustrate them,- for such will be a Penalty,- a
Punishment most humiliating.
- And those to whom knowledge has come see that the
(Revelation) sent down to thee from thy Lord - that is
the Truth, and that it guides to the Path of the
Exalted (in might), Worthy of all praise.
- The Unbelievers say (in ridicule): "Shall we point
out to you a man that will tell you, when ye are all
scattered to pieces in disintegration, that ye shall
(then be raised) in a New Creation?
- "Has he invented a falsehood against God, or has a
spirit (seized) him?"- Nay, it is those who believe not
in the Hereafter, that are in (real) Penalty, and in
- See they not what is before them and behind them,
of the sky and the earth? If We wished, We could cause
the earth to swallow them up, or cause a piece of the
sky to fall upon them. Verily in this is a Sign for
every devotee that turns to God (in repentance).
- We bestowed Grace aforetime on David from
ourselves: "O ye Mountains! Sing ye back the Praises of
God with him! and ye birds (also)! And We made the iron
soft for him;-
- (Commanding), "Make thou coast of mail, balancing
well the rings of chain armour, and work ye
righteousness; for be sure I see (clearly) all that ye
- And to Solomon (We made) the Wind (obedient): Its
early morning (stride) was a month's (journey), and its
evening (stride) was a month's (journey); and We made a
Font of molten brass to flow for him; and there were
Jinns that worked in front of him, by the leave of his
Lord, and if any of them turned aside from our command,
We made him taste of the Penalty of the Blazing Fire.
- They worked for him as he desired, (making) arches,
images, basons as large as reservoirs, and (cooking)
cauldrons fixed (in their places): "Work ye, sons of
David, with thanks! but few of My servants are
- Then, when We decreed (Solomon's) death, nothing
showed them his death except a little worm of the
earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his staff:
so when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if
they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried
in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task).
- There was, for Saba, aforetime, a Sign in their
home-land - two Gardens to the right and to the left.
"Eat of the Sustenance (provided) by your Lord, and be
grateful to Him: a territory fair and happy, and a Lord
- But they turned away (from God), and We sent
against them the Flood (released) from the dams, and We
converted their two garden (rows) into "gardens"
producing bitter fruit, and tamarisks, and some few
- That was the Requital We gave them because they
ungratefully rejected Faith: and never do We give
(such) requital except to such as are ungrateful
- Between them and the Cities on which We had poured
our blessings, We had placed Cities in prominent
positions, and between them We had appointed stages of
journey in due proportion: "Travel therein, secure, by
night and by day."
- But they said: "Our Lord! Place longer distances
between our journey-stages": but they wronged
themselves (therein). At length We made them as a tale
(that is told), and We dispersed them all in scattered
fragments. Verily in this are Signs for every (soul
that is) patiently constant and grateful.
- And on them did Satan prove true his idea, and they
followed him, all but a party that believed.
- But he had no authority over them,- except that We
might test the man who believes in the Hereafter from
him who is in doubt concerning it: and thy Lord doth
watch over all things.
- Say: "Call upon other (gods) whom ye fancy, besides
God: They have no power,- not the weight of an atom,-
in the heavens or on earth: No (sort of) share have
they therein, nor is any of them a helper to God.
- "No intercession can avail in His Presence, except
for those for whom He has granted permission. So far
(is this the case) that, when terror is removed from
their hearts (at the Day of Judgment, then) will they
say, 'what is it that your Lord commanded?' they will
say, 'That which is true and just; and He is the Most
High Most Great'."
- Say: "Who gives you sustenance, from the heavens
and the earth?" Say: "It is God; and certain it is that
either we or ye are on right guidance or in manifest
- Say: "Ye shall not be questioned as to our sins,
nor shall we be questioned as to what ye do."
- Say: "Our Lord will gather us together and will in
the end decide the matter between us (and you) in truth
and justice: and He is the one to decide, the One Who
- Say: "Show me those whom ye have joined with Him as
partners: by no means (can ye). Nay, He is God, the
Exalted in Power, the Wise."
- We have not sent thee but as a universal
(Messenger) to men, giving them glad tidings, and
warning them (against sin), but most men understand
- They say: "When will this promise (come to pass) if
ye are telling the truth?"
- Say: "The appointment to you is for a Day, which ye
cannot put back for an hour nor put forward."
- The Unbelievers say: "We shall neither believe in
this scripture nor in (any) that (came) before it."
Couldst thou but see when the wrong-doers will be made
to stand before their Lord, throwing back the word (of
blame) on one another! Those who had been despised will
say to the arrogant ones: "Had it not been for you, we
should certainly have been believers!"
- The arrogant ones will say to those who had been
despised: "Was it we who kept you back from Guidance
after it reached you? Nay, rather, it was ye who
- Those who had been despised will say to the
arrogant ones: "Nay! it was a plot (of yours) by day
and by night: Behold! Ye (constantly) ordered us to be
ungrateful to God and to attribute equals to Him!" They
will declare (their) repentance when they see the
Penalty: We shall put yokes on the necks of the
Unbelievers: It would only be a requital for their
- Never did We send a warner to a population, but the
wealthy ones among them said: "We believe not in the
(Message) with which ye have been sent."
- They said: "We have more in wealth and in sons, and
we cannot be punished."
- Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the
Provision to whom He pleases, but most men understand
- It is not your wealth nor your sons, that will
bring you nearer to Us in degree: but only those who
believe and work righteousness - these are the ones for
whom there is a multiplied Reward for their deeds,
while secure they (reside) in the dwellings on high!
- Those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate
them, will be given over into Punishment.
- Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the
Sustenance to such of his servants as He pleases: and
nothing do ye spend in the least (in His cause) but He
replaces it: for He is the Best of those who grant
- One Day He will gather them all together, and say
to the angels, "Was it you that these men used to
- They will say, "Glory to Thee! our (tie) is with
Thee - as Protector - not with them. Nay, but they
worshipped the Jinns: most of them believed in them."
- So on that Day no power shall they have over each
other, for profit or harm: and We shall say to the
wrong-doers, "Taste ye the Penalty of the Fire,- the
which ye were wont to deny!"
- When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, they
say, "This is only a man who wishes to hinder you from
the (worship) which your fathers practised." And they
say, "This is only a falsehood invented!" and the
Unbelievers say of the Truth when it comes to them,
"This is nothing but evident magic!"
- But We had not given them Books which they could
study, nor sent apostles to them before thee as
- And their predecessors rejected (the Truth); these
have not received a tenth of what We had granted to
those: yet when they rejected My apostles, how
(terrible) was My rejection (of them)!
- Say: "I do admonish you on one point: that ye do
stand up before God,- (It may be) in pairs, or (it may
be) singly,- and reflect (within yourselves): your
Companion is not possessed: he is no less than a warner
to you, in face of a terrible Penalty."
- Say: "No reward do I ask of you: it is (all) in
your interest: my reward is only due from God: And He
is witness to all things."
- Say: "Verily my Lord doth cast the (mantle of)
Truth (over His servants),- He that has full knowledge
of (all) that is hidden."
- Say: "The Truth has arrived, and Falsehood neither
creates anything new, nor restores anything."
- Say: "If I am astray, I only stray to the loss of
my own soul: but if I receive guidance, it is because
of the inspiration of my Lord to me: it is He Who hears
all things, and is (ever) near."
- If thou couldst but see when they will quake with
terror; but then there will be no escape (for them),
and they will be seized from a position (quite) near.
- And they will say, "We do believe (now) in the
(Truth)"; but how could they receive (Faith) from a
position (so far off,-
- Seeing that they did reject Faith (entirely)
before, and that they (continually) cast (slanders) on
the unseen from a position far off?
- And between them and their desires, is placed a
barrier, as was done in the past with their partisans:
for they were indeed in suspicious (disquieting) doubt.
Surah 33 The Clans
Surah 34 Saba
Surah 35 The Angels