Amtrak's double decker passenger cars used on all western long-distance routes and some routes east of Chicago.

Services
Meals are available in the Superliner dining car, which includes linen tablecloths and china place settings. Attendants bring around coffee, tea, and juice along with the morning newspaper each day. The "Sightseer Lounge" has wraparound windows on the upper level, and the lower level has tables and a standard Amtrak cafe. The lounge also features cartoons in the summer, movies most evenings, and on-board guides on some trains.

Coach
The coach cars offer upper and lower level seating. The upstairs area, like most Amtrak seating, has large windows, reading lights, tray tables, leg rests, and storage for carry-on luggage. On the lower level, most seating is designed to be wheelchair-accessible, with accessible restrooms, standard restrooms, and luggage storage space also downstairs. Pillows are provided, but Amtrak suggests bringing a blanket.

Sleeper Cars
The Standard bedroom, on both upper and lower levels of the car, is designed for two adults. Next to the picture window, the two seats form a lower berth and the upper berth folds down from above. Both berths have reading lights, and the room includes heat and air controls, a fold-down table, and standard American electrical outlets. Showers and restrooms are down the hall from Standard rooms. In Deluxe bedrooms, there is a private sink and vanity, as well as an enclosed shower and toilet. The rooms have a sofa and and armchair, which convert into berths. Two Deluxe rooms can be combined into a suite for four adults. The Family room, designed for two adults and two children, takes up the entire width of the car, and has two windows, two reclining seats, and a sofa. Showers and restrooms are down the hall.from the Family bedroom, but the Accessible bedroom, also on the lower level and the same width as the Family room, includes a full lavatory with a privacy curtain.

Superliner Routes
Superliner cars are used on Amtrak's Auto Train, California Zephyr, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Texas Eagle rail lines.

Information from Amtrak's 2001 Travel Planner and http://lb.amtrak.com/plan/accommodations/superlinerlong.html.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.