Your Sunday best is a popular expression about the type of wardrobe one wears to Sunday morning Christian worship services. For men it would mean wearing a coat and tie. For women it means a dress, but absolutely no pantsuits.

Unwritten dress codes in Christian churches are not necessarily as strict as what they were ten or twenty years ago. As contemporary worship becomes more and more acceptable, contemporary of dress becomes more and more acceptable. There is a misconception among a handful of old school conservative Christians that the Almighty actually cares what people wear when they worship. Scriptures tend to disprove this view.

It is very possible that Jesus did not have fine apparel. Jesus did not have a permanent place of residence (Matthew 8:20).

20Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

It is likely Jesus carried around all his possessions with him on his journeys. Jesus probably only had one outer garment. It is likely this garment may not have been his Sunday best. But it was all he had.

John the Baptist was even more poorly dressed according to conservative Christian standards. He wore the skins of camel's hair (Matthew 3:4). If someone showed up at church with the equivalent of John's wardrobe...perhaps with a shirt and pants that he or she made, would they be acceptable for worship in some people's minds?

The apostle James condemned showing partiality toward outer appearance in James 2:2-4.

2Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. 3If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," 4have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Your Sunday best could easily be one's attitude toward others, rather than one's outer appearance.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.