The international corporate law firm of Sullivan & Cromwell has a long history. Founded in 1879 by Algernon Sullivan and William Cromwell, the firm was on hand for the foundation of both General Electric in 1882 and United States Steel in 1901. Prior to World War I, Sullivan & Cromwell represented European bankers and bond syndicates financing the development of America’s railroads and industrial infrastructure. Cromwell was also involved in financing the construction of the Panama Canal.

The Great Depression generated a great deal of litigation for the firm, primarily from Wall Street clients seeking to handle the increased government involvement in business and the financial industry with the introduction of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1933. At this point the firm entered the lucrative business of antitrust defense, and Federal Income Tax law. During and after World War II individual members of the firm, including partners such as John Foster Dulles and Arthur Dean, also played important roles in domestic politics and international affairs.

Today, Sullivan & Cromwell has about 600 lawyers in four US and seven international offices. It focuses on corporate law for industrial, commercial, and financial clients, more than half of which are located abroad. Sullivan & Cromwell's major clients include investment and banking giant Goldman Sachs and Microsoft - being represented in its antitrust battle with the US Justice Department.

Sullivan & Cromwell has U.S. offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and Palo Alto. Overseas offices are in Paris, London, Melbourne, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Frankfurt and Beijing.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.