Stimulants used by students and others to increase their ability to concentrate on work for extended periods of time.

Popular Study Drugs Dangers and Downsides A Mixed Bag

Some would argue that study drugs, if used carefully, can be a lifesaver. Others would say that there is no excuse for taking them because good organization and time management skills would have prevented the need. Often, the need for study drugs comes up because of procrastination. Some people just bite off more than they can chew, or their teachers put more pressure on them than they should. Others have legitimate, and possibly undiagnosed, learning disabilities.

Advice for Study Drug Users
  • Don't use them at all if it can be avoided. Don't bite off more than you can chew. As far as grades are concerned, settle for less if necessary.
  • Try all of the legal stuff first, Red Bull or other drinks with caffenine and B vitamins work pretty well.
  • If you want to use prescription drugs as a study aid find a doctor that will write you a prescription so that you can get them from a pharmacy. At least that way you will know that your drugs will be safe. They may be able to help you quit if you become addicted, but if they write prescriptions pretty freely there is a good chance that they will not.

The famous mathematician Paul Erdos turned to the use of amphetamines to help himself study.

There is a new class of drugs, called nootropics, that may have the potential to improve short-term memory though not general intelligence. They have different mechanisms of actions, many of which rely on increasing levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Nootropics are usually independent of the dopamine system (there are exceptions such as Selegiline) and are consequently uncontrolled, unlike most of the stimulant based drugs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.