I can't believe no one has noded this already.

A flight sim for the PC by Origin Systems, circa 1993. Strike Commander is sort of a spin-off from the Wing Commander franchise. It isn't based in the same universe, but is shares the same mission-cutscene-mission formula that made Chris Roberts rich. The player controls a jet-pilot mercenary in the near future, who is hired to stop some Arabs from claiming some oil (or something like that- I've never seen the manual to this game, and it was a long time ago).

Apart from being based on real-life military hardware, the unique selling point of the game is that the planes are constructed of gouraud shaded polygons, and there is (relatively) a lot of texture-mapped ground detail. The game was well known for being a hardware hog (Intel in fact used it to advertise the i486 DX-2 66). It was widely suspected that this was because Origin could rely on new hardware to prop up slightly shoddy coding (something that the quote section of Pagan: Ultima VIII seems to suggest*).

Strike Commander is well presented and fairly solid, but lacks the spark that made Wing Commander a successful series. The following year's Pacific Strike (effectively a perfection of the same pre-3D-acceleration technology) plays rather better in my opinion. Strike is really only of historical interest now.


*"When I came here I thought I'd have to learn to code efficiently. Obviously, I was wrong." -an Origin programmer, on viewing Strike Commander code.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.