Also a historic movie theater located in Delaware, OH on East Winter Street. It has been open since 1917 and has quite a lot of history. They also have some of the best popcorn!

The Strand runs from Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross to Fleet Street and the Aldwych. Lying in the City of Westminster, London, it runs (as the name suggests) parallel to the River Thames. Covent Garden lies to the north of it. At the eastern end, two churches - St Mary-le-Strand and St Clement Danes stand on islands in the middle of the road. King's College London is the huge concrete block on the south side of the road outside St Mary's, opposite Bush House. Several theatres are found here, including the Savoy, along with some fine restaurants such as Simpson's, Salieri and Paradiso e Inferno.

Strand (?), n. [Probably fr. D. streen a skein; akin to G. strahne a skein, lock of hair, strand of a rope.]

One of the twists, or strings, as of fibers, wires, etc., of which a rope is composed.

 

© Webster 1913.


Strand, v. t.

To break a strand of (a rope).

 

© Webster 1913.


Strand, n. [AS. strand; akin to D., G., Sw., & Dan. strand, Icel. strond.]

The shore, especially the beach of a sea, ocean, or large lake; rarely, the margin of a navigable river.

Chaucer.

Strand birds. Zool. See Shore birds, under Shore. -- Strand plover Zool., a black-bellied plover. See Illust. of Plover. -- Strand wolf Zool., the brown hyena.

 

© Webster 1913.


Strand, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stranded; p. pr. & vb. n. Stranding.]

To drive on a strand; hence, to run aground; as, to strand a ship.

 

© Webster 1913.


Strand (?), v. i.

To drift, or be driven, on shore to run aground; as, the ship stranded at high water.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.