Back to the Dim Sum metanode

A staple in the dim sum lunch. The pork is cooked in the chau siu roast pork fashion, hence in Cantonese this dish is called chau siu bao, or "roast pork bun". Served hot, it is very tasty. You can buy these in supermarkets, but it is not as good as eating out.

Ingredients

  • 320 g. flour
  • 40 g. cold water
  • 60 g. fat pork
  • 2 spring onions
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
  • 240 g. lean pork
  • 2 black mushrooms
  • 1 stalk parsley
Seasonings
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
  • Bit of sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon potato starch added with 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon wine
  • Dash of pepper powder
Cooking
  1. Sieve flour into a large pan, pour boiling water in quickly and stir them well with a rod.
  2. Sprinkle a layer of flour onto the table, dump the dough out, wet the hands with cold water and knead the dough until soft and smooth.
  3. Wash the lean and fat pork and chop these two kinds together; soak black mushrooms until soft and cut them finely; wash parsley and spring onions clean; put all of them in a bowl, add seasonings to mix well, whip them a bit, and add the potato starch solution, continuing to whip.
  4. Knead the dough into a long rod, cut into 24 to 32 equal portions and roll the portions out into thin round pieces with a rod.
  5. Spread each thin round skin flat in one hand, add 1 portion of stuffing and fold the skin up to nip it into the shape of a bun.
  6. Spread the steamer with vegetable leaves washed clean, lay the small buns on them and steam them over high heat for 15 minutes for serving.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.