One of the most popular and enduring of Vancouver-published zine-comics, Brad Yung's SAYA is a verbose, straightforward but complex look at the interactions between a quasi-autobiographical protagonist and one of his close friends / roommates as they explore the issues around "Generation X", irony, marketing and the media, irony, apathy, postmodernism, irony, existentialism, irony and post-irony.

The text of a typical strip runs as follows:

PANEL 1:
BRAD: OK, now watch: this commercial is telling us that only cool people use their product.
PANEL 2:
BRAD: Therefore, if I buy their product, I must be cool too.
PANEL 3:
BRAD: But truly cool people wouldn't need that kind of validation.
PANEL 4:
BRAD: The people who actually buy these products are pathetic, low-self esteem losers who want to appear to be cool and are too stupid to realize they've been manipulated.
PANEL 5:
BRAD: This whole ad campaign is based on a hypocritical target market and is completely contradictory to the imagery shown and the messages conveyed.
PANEL 6:
FRIEND: So, should I buy the product or not?
BRAD: Sure, but only to be ironic.
FRIEND: And irony's cool, right?
BRAD: Yeah... no... shut up...

The name of the comic is derived from a quote from Marshal McLuhan's Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man:

Individual issues can be got at $2 a piece (for approximately 30-38 zine-pages of comic plus the continuing adventures of Ninja Bear) - postage included - from (ahem)Stay as you Are and all quotes from it presented above are (c) Brad Yung. See also www.stayasyouare.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.