Founded in 1893 by Dorothea Beale, Principal of the Cheltenham Ladies' College. St Hilda’s is the only remaining college at Oxford to be dedicated to women’s education. The members of St Hilda’s are known as “Hildabeasts”.

The Principal of the college is Miss Elizabeth Llewellyn-Smith.

The admissions tutor is Mrs Susan Bright.

Courses not offered:

Modern Languages joint schools only for French or German

Website – http://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk

See University of Oxford for a list of all courses offered by the university.

Breaking News!

On 7 June 2006, St Hilda's Governing Body elected to open its doors to men and women alike, starting in Autumn 2008.

The upshot of this is that the first couple of years of men accepted will coexist with an about equal number of women their age and many, many women no more than a few years older than them. I can't speak to the significance of this fact.

According to their website, the nickname for a St Hilda's girl (/boy) is a Hildebeest - pronounced Hill-der-bee-ist, as in wildebeest - although few, to my knowledge, spend any great amount of time frolicking upon the veldt.

Finally, www.balliol.ox.ac.uk is in fact the website for, erm, Balliol College and St Hilda's may be found instead at www.st-hildas.ox.ac.uk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.