A technique used by skiiers as a measure of powder preservation.

When skiing down a slope, a skiier makes a set of s-like turns. Spooning is when consecutive runs down the slope follow the previous skiiers tracks, but slightly to the side.

The whole aim of this is to ski as much fresh snow as possible, whilst not disturbing the fresh snow for others.

A college (specifically, the College of William and Mary) slang term for kicking a roommate out of a shared room so that you might have some . . . quality time . . . with your significant other.

Exact origins are unknown, but theorized by some as Seek Possible Other Occupancy Now. (yeah, I know - doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it?)

Examples: "Bob, do you mind if I spoon you tonight? My girlfriend wants to come over." "Man, Bob spooned me! Can I stay at your place?" "Sorry, the Roommate agreement form says 'No spooning during finals.' Get your sex elsewhere."

The spoon is one of the oldest eating implements, much older than the fork. Its modern English name derives from the Anglo Saxon word spon, referring to a thin concave piece of wood used to dip into porridge or other somewhat thick liquids that couldn't simply be drunk from a bowl. Until the seventeenth century in England people ate with fingers or spoon; only around 1670 did the fork come into vogue. In Thailand, as in some other Asian countries, the spoon as a dining implement is a fairly recent innovation. Thai people ate with their hands until the twentieth century, when the government exhorted them to use spoons and forks in order to appear "civilized" (read: westernized). Spoons are the main eating utensil in Thailand today, with forks serving mainly to push food onto spoons, an arrangement which I have become quite enamoured of. In Thailand, contrary to popular belief, chopsticks are only used to eat noodles.

The spoon used to reflect social class in Europe: the poor used wood, merchants clasped pewter, while the wealthy handled silver spoons. People had only one spoon which they wiped down between meals, and if they went out to eat, they took their spoon with them. The expression "born with a silver spoon in his/her mouth" derives from the custom of giving an infant a spoon at baptism: again, silver for the aristocracy, but wood or horn for a peasant.

An odd hobby is spoon collecting, which apparently began in 1890 in Massachusetts, when a jeweller introduced a sterling silver spoon which commemorated, of all things, the Salem witch trials. He sold 7000 the first year. Today it's an international obsession for matrons named Mary.

There are many shapes and sizes of spoons. The most common are the teaspoon, tablespoon, soup spoon, and serving spoon. Tea- and tablespoons have oval bowls, while soup spoons have round bowls. Proper soup spoon etiquette dictates that you always fill the spoon by moving it through the soup away from you, not towards you, and imbibe the soup by sipping from the edge of the spoon bowl, not placing the whole spoon in your mouth.

Specialized spoons are many, and include the long narrow marrow spoon used to scoop the marrow out of bones in dishes like osso buco, and the caviar spoon, which is made out of shell or gold, as eggs will tarnish silver.

Wooden spoons are mostly used today for cooking, and should not be run through a dishwasher. Instead, clean quickly and dry after each use.

What does it mean when a recipe advises cooking an egg-based custard until it coats the back of a spoon? The mixture should leave an even film on the spoon when it's removed, such that if you run your finger across the coating on the spoon, it leaves a clear trail. If the coating runs into the trail, the mixture needs to be cooked more.

Some of this information is from the column "Social Studies", a fascinating daily miscellany found on the back page of the first section of the Globe and Mail, "Canada's National Newspaper".

To spoon:

to lay next to someone so that you fit together like spoons.

Also, an old Welsh custom of presenting your intended spouse with an elaborately-carved wooden spoon as an engagement token.

From that usage the word has come to describe courtship behavior such as kissing, cuddling, and whispering sweet nothings.

It’s a term used to describe a situation involving a special form of intimacy between two people. One of them lies, more or less, behind the other, wrapping arms around the front of the other. It’s important that both parties have their legs bent in a similar fashion so that everything fits right and it doesn't matter whether the guy or the girl is on the outside or even if there is a guy or a girl. Fun for all preferences!

It comes from the way spoons sit so nicely after you’ve unloaded the dishes and stacked them in their place. The term could just as easily been called “forking” but that sounds a little dirtier. Knives don’t fit together as well plus “knifing” is already taken.

The best part about spooning is the innocent intimacy that it entails. There’s a special thing going on but it’s not reserved for lovers. The closeness that you feel is great but you don’t have to worry about any early morning walks of shame or awkward dressing in the harsh light of the sun.

It’s the best way to watch a movie but most of the time it’s hard to fall asleep that way. I can always get really comfortable and almost drift off but I know that my neck will be stiff in the morning. The hard part is that, usually she’s already fallen asleep and I have to sneakily pull my now-asleep arm out from under the sleeping head of a sleeping beauty.

I can’t complain though because the spooning alone is worth it.

Spoon is an indie rock band from Austin, Texas. Front man Britt Daniel has been quoted as saying, "Spoon is the best band to ever come out of Austin." I don't know about that, but their new album as well as the preceeding Girls can Tell are definetly worth the money.

Spoon has refined their sound to a nice smooth tempo that allows them to get away with rough, hoarse sounding vocals and rapidly changing guitar chords. They've incorporated a sense of humor into their newer albums and experimented with mixing and added interesting sounds their songs. Although they can be catchy as hell and at times even dance-worthy, they're not really charting any new territory. They still play frequently in the Houston/Austin area. Great rainy day or background music.

Complete Discography:

Nefarious 7" and cd-ep (Fluffer) 1994
Idiot Driver lp (Peek-A-Boo) 1995
All The Negatives Have Been Destroyed 7" cd-ep (Matador) 1996
Not Turning Off UK only 7" (Matador) 1996
Telephono cd/lp (Matador) 1996
Primary cd (Cassiel) 1997
Soft Effects cd/lp (Matador) 1997
Operation in Progress cd (Nickle and Dime) 1997
What's Up Matador?"Telamon Bridge" and; "Don't Buy the Realistic" dbl-cd/dbl-lp (Matador) 1997
A Series Of Sneaks cd/lp (Elektra) 1998
30 Gallon Tank 7" (Peek-A-Boo) 1998
Anticipation 7" (Mag Wheel) 1998
The Agony of Laffitte cd (Saddle Creek) 1999
Love Ways cd-ep (Merge) 2000
Girls Can Tell cd/lp (Merge) 2001
Kill the Moonlight cd (Merge) 2002
Stay Don't Go cd/ep (Merge) 2003
The Way We Get Bycd/ep (Merge) 2003
I Turn My Camera On7" (Merge) 2005
Gimme Fiction cd/lp (Merge) 2005

A spoon is a simple, yet effective and versatile variety of fishing lure. It is shaped like its namesake, minus the handle, and in fact I've seen handmade lures made from teaspoons. Typically, it has a hole on the front end for attaching your line, and a three-pronged treble hook dangling from the back. Some varieties have a single hook soldered to the concave side of the lure instead. Spoons come in many shape variations, from thin and almost flat, to thick and narrow and wavy. Any color may be used, although the standard is just a polished silvery finish. Any lure that is simply a piece of metal with a hook, shaped to move in the water, may be called a spoon.

A standard spoon's action in the water roughly imitates a minnow or other small baitfish, and the flashing metallic glint adds to this. As the spoon is pulled slowly, it wobbles back and forth with little resistance. As it is pulled faster, it can spin completely around the central axis with a great deal of resistance. You should be able to feel the difference through the pole. Either action can be effective; as with most lures, a faster, more violent action will attract aggressive fish, but may scare away more elusive or shy fish. If you don't specifically know the nature of your prey, it is probably a good idea to vary the action; for example a cycle of 5 seconds of fast action and 5 seconds of slow action. Spoons can also be good for jigging, especially the thin kind that flutters slowly on the way down.

One very common use of spoons is as a supplement to natural or artificial bait, or other equipment like soft plastic worms. The single-hooked variety of spoon is particularly well-suited to this, dangling the bait behind and underneath on the hook. A weedless spoon (single-hooked with a spring against the hook to brush aside weeds), fitted with some kind of smelly, artificial bait, can be extremely effective for catching gamefish that live in weedy areas, like largemouth bass. The attachment of extra equipment to a spoon will usually deaden its movement, but many baits like rubber worms or rubber grubs have swirly action of their own. The shiny spoon can help grab the visual attention of a fish when the plain bait might not.

You can find many kinds of spoons at any sport shop that carries fishing lures and other angling equipment. Time tested varieties of spoons are the red-and-white-striped Red Devil, and the Johnson Silver Minnow, which is an of the weedless single-hooked variety. Or, you can make your own with a few tools and some silverware. I once made several spoons from common american pennies, by hammering it into a rounded shape over a rock, drilling holes in either end, and attaching a treble hook with a pop swivel. As it turned out, it had a rather unique action that was very popular with panfish and small gamefish like perch and crappie. I also made a double-jointed version by attaching two pennies with a swivel, for larger fish.


BlueDragon says re spoon: Mackerel positively throw themselves onto the hook if there's a spoon :)

Spoon (spOOn), v. i. (Naut.)

See Spoom. [Obs.]

We might have spooned before the wind as well as they.
Pepys.

 

© Webster 1913


Spoon, n. [OE. spon, AS. spOn, a chip; akin to D. spaan, G. span, Dan. spaan, Sw. spån, Icel. spánn, spónn, a chip, a spoon. √170. Cf. Span- new.]

1.

An implement consisting of a small bowl (usually a shallow oval) with a handle, used especially in preparing or eating food.

"Therefore behoveth him a full long spoon
That shall eat with a fiend," thus heard I say.
Chaucer.

He must have a long spoon that must eat with the devil.
Shak.

2.

Anything which resembles a spoon in shape; esp. (Fishing), a spoon bait.

3.

Fig.: A simpleton; a spooney. [Slang] Hood.

Spoon bait (Fishing), a lure used in trolling, consisting of a glistening metallic plate shaped like the bowl of a spoon with a fishhook attached. --
Spoon bit, a bit for boring, hollowed or furrowed along one side. --
Spoon net, a net for landing fish. --
Spoon oar. see under Oar.

 

© Webster 1913


Spoon, v. t.

To take up in, or as in, a spoon.

 

© Webster 1913


Spoon, v. i.

To act with demonstrative or foolish fondness, as one in love. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913


Spoon (?), n. (Golf)

A wooden club with a lofted face. Encyc. of Sport.

 

© Webster 1913


Spoon, v. t.

1. (Fishing)

To catch by fishing with a spoon bait.

He had with him all the tackle necessary for spooning pike.
Mrs. Humphry Ward.

2.

In croquet, golf, etc., to push or shove (a ball) with a lifting motion, instead of striking with an audible knock.

 

© Webster 1913


Spoon, v. i.

1.

To fish with a spoon bait.

2.

In croquet, golf, etc., to spoon a ball.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.