Ctenosaurus acanthura:
Spiny-tailed Iguana. This is the largest spiny-tail, with adults reaching over 3 feet. Abundant on the Mexican Gulf Coast.

Ctenosaurus bakeri:
Isla de la Bahia Spiny-tailed Iguana. Very little is known about this species, which is restricted to the Isla de la Bahia, Honduras.

Ctenosaurus clarki:
Clark's Dwarf Spiny-tailed Iguana. Less colourful than the Yucatan spiny-tail, this species occurs on the Pacific coast of central Mexico. Now protected from exportation, except under permit, very few are seen outside Mexico.

Ctenosaurus defensor:
Yucatan Dwarf Spiny-tailed Iguana. One of the smallest and most colourful of the spiny-tails, found mainly on the Yucatan Peninsula. Adult males reach about 10 inches in length.

Ctenosaurus hemilopha:
Sonoran Spiny-tailed Iguana. One of the largest of the Ctenasaurs, it reaches about 30 inches in length. A large, dark lizard, it is widely found in the northern Pacific states of Mexico.

Ctenoasaurus oeirhina:
Roatan Island Spiny-tailed Iguana. Very little is known about this species, which is restricted to Roatan Island, Honduras.

Ctenosaurus palearis:
Central American Dwarf Spiny-tailed Iguana. Found in the lowlands of Guatemala and Honduras. Males may be 15 inches, females a little smaller.

Ctenosaurus pectinata:
Mexican Spiny-tailed Iguana. One of the largest spiny-tails. May reach 4 feet in length. Ranges along the Mexican Pacific coast, with populations also found in Florida, Texas, and other US counties. The common spiny-tail of the pet trade.

Ctenosaurus quinquecarinata:
Dwarf Spiny-tailed Iguana. Ranges from Oaxaca in Mexico to Nicaragua. One of the largest Dwarf forms, it may reach 17 inches. Has only recently been introduced to the pet trade.

Ctenosaurus similis:
Spiny-tailed Iguana. Abundant through much of southern Mexico, from the Northernmost regions of the Yucatan peninsula down towards Panama.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.