That Perfect Christmas Eve Midnight Snack

There is a Holiday tradition whereby folks stay up on Christmas Eve. Maybe friends and family are invited over to share in the preview opening of a present or two (or for some, all). Then at Midnight-- or maybe the next morning --special hot sticky buns with the hot mocha drink topped with whipped cream would make the mouth and stomach feel that they had the proper and sufficent oblations.

Ingredients:

Flavoring

Quarter cup (half a stick) melted butter1
Quarter cup light brown sugar
One tablespoon cinnamon
One package (4 ounce) instant butterscotch pudding mix
Quarter cup chopped nuts ( i.e., walnuts, pecans, peanuts)
Cherries or Raisins (optional)

The Buns

Two and a half cups sifted flour
One eighth ounce dry yeast
Half cup milk
One quarter cup sugar
One quarter cup butter2
Half teaspoon salt
One beaten egg

note: For convience, a 24 ounce refrigerated pack of dinner rolls will suffice.

Preparation of the Bun Mixture

1. In a large mixing bowl combine half the flour and the yeast. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, butter2, sugar and salt until butter almost melts (about 125 degrees). Add liquid in pan to bowl with dry ingredients, adding the egg. Mix at low/medium speed, scraping sides for half a minute. Slowly add remaining cup of flour.

2. On a flour-dusted surface work the dough for about seven minutes, adding flour, if needed, to created a smooth, firm, but elastic mass. Place ball and turn in a lightly greased bowl, which after covered is set aside in a warm area. Let rise until twice the size (about an hour).

3. Punch dough, and turn on to the flour-dusted surface. Separate it in half, and let those covered balls rest for ten minutes. Shape the dough in such a way as to be placed in a bundt pan.

Putting It All Together

1. Mix the butter1, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.

2. Layer the dough, pudding mix, nuts and fruit in a greased and floured bundt pan.

3. Dribble the sugar/butter mixture over the top.

4. After letting rise for another half hour, bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a golden brown.

Warning We are talking napalm hot, here. Watch for Santa's Singed Smacker.

This was for the The Ninjagirls Christmas Special.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.