Sound Systems were originally born from the crossover of London and Jamaican reggae culture.

Often using homemade speakers and components these sound systems would travel around community centres and even church halls or wherever they could book into. With their own sound setup they could play from almost anywhere allowing them to avoid the mainstream club and disco scene where reggae music would not be appreciated anyway

In the 70's sound systems mixed with dub reggae and added a new cultural twist. They became louder and the music more bass orientated.

One of the most influential sound systems of the period was Jah Shakas sound. Still playing today in London and occassionally across Europe Jah Shakas sound remains roots orientated and provides a dance experience that is something completely different from what most clubbers will have ever experienced.

I've been to many a dance night but have never felt the thunder of the bass move through me in the same way.

The Sound System in Jamaica, in the beginning consisted of 3 crews lead by Coxsone Dodd, Duke Reid and Prince Buster. Most of the innovations were developed thorugh competition with each other, however shooting up a sound system if it had better music wasn't their first innovation.

The sound system began life as travelling record stores on the island nation. They would stop and play music to attract crowds, this eventually grew to market and sell alcohal. Sound Systems are most likely found in Dancehalls outside, mainly to accomodate more people, sell more booze, and so that sound clashes can occur.

Here were born the origins of Ska and Reggae

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.