3D beat-em-up for the Sony Playstation. The Japanese versions as well as the Namco arcade game were called Soul Edge

The Game

Gameplay is pretty basic. Two people in a square arena fight until one has their health bar turned completely red or is knocked out of the ring. That person is the loser. There is usually a time limit, and if the timer hits zero, the person with the most health is declared the winner. Time limits are adjustable in the home version, and can be set to infinite if you want to fight to the death.
The characters also have a weapon strength bar underneath the health meter, which depletes as you block enemy weapon attacks (kicks do nothing to the weapon strength meter). Once this runs out, you lose your weapon and have to fight your opponent bare-handed.
Characters have a variety of throws, combos and other techniques which can help in this. This includes the Critical Edge Technique, which hurts your opponent like hell (takes away 50% of their health meter if performed as a Critical Edge Combo) but also reduces your weapon strength meter by a third.

Characters

There are 10 regular characters, and 5 secret characters (marked by a *)

Name: Rock
Weapon: Axe
Speed: 1/5
Power: 5/5
Notes: The big slow character. His reaction times are easily his worst quality, but when he hits, BOY does he hit!

Name: Hwang
Weapon: Sword
Speed: 3/5
Power: 3/5
Notes: A generic well-rounded fighter. Not much more to say.

Name: Taki
Weapon: Rekkimaru, a small blade
Speed: 5/5
Power: 3/5
Notes: Fast ninja girl. One of the best characters in the game.

Name: Mitsurugi
Weapon: Katana
Speed: 3/5
Power: 3/5
Notes: Samurai character, similar character to Hwang, overall. Remember the whole Ken/Ryu thing in Street Fighter 2?

Name: Sophitia
Weapon: Sword and Shield
Speed: 4/5
Power: 3/5
Notes: Can be nasty if used effectively. Slower than Taki but seems to do more damage.

Name: Siegfried
Weapon: Big two-handed sword!
Speed: 2/5
Power: 4/5
Notes: Has a few damaging combos, but is slow overall. The big sword gives him a good range though.

Name: Seung Mina
Weapon: A naginata-style blade-on-a-stick.
Speed: 2/5
Power: 3/5
Notes: Has amazing range, but is quite slow.

Name: Li Long
Weapon: Nunchaku (or jointed sticks in the British version, due to censorship laws)
Speed: 4/5
Power: 3/5
Notes: Quite fast and with a medium range. Let down by his sometimes difficult combos and average power.

Name: Voldo
Weapon: God knows what. The man has BLADES on his HANDS, people!
Speed: 3/5
Power: 3/5
Notes: Ahh, the recurring "Blind-guardian-of-a-hoard-of-treasure-in-a-gimp-suit" character, commonplace to all fighting games. Regular power and speed, but doesn't have the range of Hwang or Mitsurugi.

Name: Cervantes
Weapon: Soul Edge, "the ultimate evil sword", possessed by demons.
Speed: 4/5
Power: 4/5
Notes: Owes his speed to the fact that he actually uses two swords, daisho style. The big swords also equal big range.

Name: Siegfried! *
Weapon: Soul Edge (allegedly)
Speed: 2/5
Power: 4/5
Notes: Has Siegfried's black armour from his regular ending and appears to carry Soul Edge. Other than the cosmetic differences he's no different.
Obtainable by getting all eight of Siegfried's weapons in Edge Master mode.

Name: Sophitia! *
Weapon: Sword and Shield
Speed: 4/5
Power: 4/5
Notes: Again, only cosmetic differences here. Sophitia dressed in white from where her armour disappears in her ending.
Unlocked by getting all eight of her weapons in Edge Master mode.

Name: Sophitia!! *
Weapon: Sword and Shield
Speed: 4/5
Power: 4/5
Notes: Sophitia in her bathing outfit from her alternate ending. Once again, no difference other than that.
To unlock her, you have to get all 70 weapons on Edge Master mode. (you have no idea how long it took me to do this.)

Name: Han Myong *
Weapon: Sword, same as Hwang's
Speed: 3/5
Power: 3/5
Notes: Hwang's old teacher. Unlocked by first unlocking Soul Edge and then completing Arcade mode with Hwang, then Han Myong's daughter, Seung Mina. Is mostly the same as Hwang, but has one or two extra combos.

Name: Soul Edge *
Weapon: Soul Edge
Speed: 4/5
Power: 4/5
Notes: Mostly the same as Cervantes except has some nifty new moves.
Unlocked by completing Arcade mode with all ten original characters, or by leaving the game running for 20 hours straight.

Edge Master Mode: This is the most fun (and at times annoying) of the gameplay modes on the Playstation version. Basically your character must travel the earth, fighting against different characters in different ways to collect weapons.

The different types of battle are:

Defeat all enemies - Just as it says, except that you don't get all of your health back at the end of a round. The hardest version of this I've seen is where you have to defeat six opponents in a row with minimal health.
Poison - Your health drops during the battle, whether the enemy hits you or not.
Timed - There is a time limit on this match. If it runs out (no matter how much health you or your opponent have) you lose.
Tired - You start off tired and with a low health meter (two or three kicks will kill you)
Air Combo - You must hit the enemy in the air to inflict damage. Every character has a move that will launch the enemy into the air, and then on the way down you can hit them with a few more to do the damage.
Ring Out - You must knock the enemy out of the ring. Low kicks are generally your best bet for this.
Critical Edge - You must defeat the enemy using the Critical Edge Technique. The only way to do this is to hit them with a Critical Edge combo, which will kill them instantly. The only two characters who have to do this are Taki and Mitsurugi. Remember to practice. These take time to perfect, seeing as you get three shots at this at the most.
More to come when I have the time and energy :)

More to come soon but if anyone can help me, (with the names of the weapons, especially) then I'd be happy to include them here.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.