Warning: not a game synopsis, but very cheap cheats. Read at your own grubby risk!

In "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" (the best Sonic game, IMO), there are two ways to achieve the feat of playing as "Super Sonic" or "Gold Sonic," where once you gain 50 rings you can jump very high, run really fast, and be pretty much invincible and super-hedgehogish. (Understand, though, you can't do this on the Master System, thanks to Xenex for the correction.)

1) Collect all of the Chaos Emeralds in the "Special Stages" that you get into after passing a star post thingie (checkpoint) and jumping through the psychedelic loop of stars that subsides. There are 7, and depending on how much time you dedicate to the craft, it can be either hard-as-hell and nerve-racking or boring (There are 7 posts in the 2 Emerald Forest levels; if you're awesome enough it's a cinch.).

2) Go to the "Options" screen and in the "Sound Test" enter the numbers 19, 65, 9, 17. Press start. The game will restart to the title screen. Select "1 Player" by holding "A" and pressing start. Now, you're at the "Level Select" screen, where you can warp to any level in the game. Go to the sound test on that screen and enter the numbers 4, 1, 2, 6. A "superhero" sound should result. Now you can play as "Super Sonic".

You can also pause the game and press "A" to restart it, "B" to play in slow motion, and "C" to make the game go by frame-by-frame. Supposedly, this is called "debug" mode, for which there was a separate code but it works with the Super Sonic code. To go back to the "Level Select" screen, just hold A and press start as before.

While Sonic can enjoy such things as jumping 3 times as high and running fast enough to go through walls if a hill is steep enough (glitch), Tails can't become "Super Tails" due to a cut in the massive original plot. Oh, well.

As an aside, it is supposed to be impossible to become "Super Sonic" in "2 Player" mode. I've done it once, but I don't have the faintest idea how. It was fucked up and really, really, cool, and I couldn't turn off the game (like the free porn episode of "Friends").

Super Knuckles, (also called "Silver Knuckles," but should have been of the "brass" variety) by the way, kicks much more ass. You can only obtain the ass kickness the hard way, through the Chaos Emerald route (after plugging in your "Sonic and Knuckles" cartridge, of course...which has no menu to enter cheat codes...blasphemy!).

He's back!

Released on "Sonic Twosday", November 24, 1992, Sega brought Sonic the Hedgehog back to the Sega Genesis for a gaming encore. This Sonic sequel boasted more levels, more challenges, and more special stunts than its predecessor. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was also the first time players met Tails the Fox. The game was one of the most highly anticipated of its time and was hyped accordingly.

Sonic maneuvers pretty much the same as he did in his premiere game with the exception of a new move: the spin dash. Sonic can now curl himself into a ball, charge up his speed, and blast off in a burst of accelertation. Tails is controlled primarily by the CPU, but when controlled by Player 2 he shares Sonic's moves.

Every game needs a villain, and Dr. Robotnik aims to please. He's back and he's brought his evil Death Egg with him. He plans to enslave all of the animals in his evil badniks and use them to overrun the land. It's up to Sonic and Tails to stop him.

During their adventures the duo traverse the following levels:

  • Emerald Hill Zone
  • Chemical Plant Zone
  • Aquatic Ruin Zone
  • Casino Night Zone
  • Hill Top Zone
  • Mystic Cave Zone
  • Oil Ocean Zone
  • Metropolis Zone
  • Sky Chase Zone
  • Wing Fortress Zone
  • Death Egg Zone

Sonic and Tails work their way through the levels beating up the badniks and Dr. Robotnik's different boss forms at the end of each level. In the Death Egg the duo battle against the mechanical hedgehog Silver Sonic, and then eventually against the evil doctor himself.

If Sonic can grab 50 rings and tag a midpoint post, he can enter the Special Stage to try and snag a Chaos Emerald. The Special Stages are in 3D and feature Sonic the Hedgehog racing down a halfpipe track collecting rings and avoiding spikes. Sonic has to grab the specified number of rings to complete the course and earn one of seven Chaos Emeralds. Completing all the Special Stages and earning all the Chaos Emeralds allows Sonic to become Super Sonic, thus making him even faster and invincible.

Don't forget to slap your Sonic and Knuckles cartridge on the game to play Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, a special version of Sonic 2 in which Knuckles travels through the game's levels. There are some areas of the game that only Knuckles can access.

This game has been featured in the Sega Smash Pack 2, Sonic Classics, Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn, and Sonic Mega Collection for Nintendo GameCube.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was originally a much larger game and contained additional levels and a different storyline, but I believe those topics are best left for another day.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.