The music marketing industry just seems to get better and better. Before you know it, you will not only get the Fruity O's in the box, but a CD of an artist you've never heard of. Promotion? Let me ask that once more. Promotion? For a serious musical artist that wants/needs to be in the minds of thousands of fans and stay on top, this word is his Bible. Only one problem with that word though. How much is enough or too little? Can you afford to be a star?

The online music revolution, being the latest form of the word, is booming with artists proudly displaying their wares for all to hear and experience. Once your music is available online, what's the next step? How will anybody find you in the primordial soup we call the Internet. What about the other 3 million artists online, your fate is surely to be driven by unknown forces that you have no control over. But wait! If you act now you also receive "extra" Fruity O's with the CD. That's right, once your CD is in the box, there is surely to be several hundred thousand following your lead for their piece of the musical cereal explosion. How can you possibly win?

Getting your music "out there" surely must require a magic mixture of potions and spells to mystify the masses of your forthcoming success, right? Wrong. Making sure that when people tune in on a local radio broadcast, are waiting in line at a convenience store or just reading a local music magazine, they see your name and image or hear your music. That's a good start, but, oh yes the proverbial "but", will your music hold up to the expectations of your promotions? That question you must ask of yourself and the people that share in your venture. How's your production quality? Is your music of high caliber, original, hit material and readily available for purchase? How much money do you invest in your musical endeavors for promotions? Unlike the record industry, you don't have millions to spend making sure people hear one song 50 times a day to generate subliminal connections that make them think your music is the best since Frank Zappa.

OK, so some of you may say, "Frank Zappa? He's weird. Why would you use him as a comparison?". Personally I think he's a musical genius and didn't need repetitive promo. His music told the entire story of his abilities. This adds a whole new variable to the equation, listener's perspective. Targeting the right audience is an important part of this magical fruity formula. I hear you snickering now, "you tell me I don't know who should listen to my music?, Yea right". I've seen fantastic promotion efforts wasted because it was incorrectly implemented against the wrong crowd. If you play Hardcore Electronic, you wouldn't leave fliers at the local beauty shop. Know who your potential fans are. Moreover, no, I don't mean your friends that you email and call up to listen to you new tunes. That will only get you so far and then the tap runs dry. Target real fans that have no idea "who" you are, will like what you do and tell others.

Another very important aspect is, know the music business. How can you expect to run a business without any business knowledge. Make it a point to educate yourself on standard contracts, legal document verbiage and understand how other aspects of the music business operate. If you haven't a clue, then you're surely to be taken advantage of by someone that does. Get an attorney to read it before you sign and understand exactly what your giving away for you minute of fame. Most of all, understand your business model "before" you sink your cash into it.

If this isn't confusing enough, for bedroom bands that don't play live or tour, it even gets more complex. You now have no public image. You must fill in the gaps if you want a fan base. That's right, sell more boxes of Fruity O's and make sure you have a consistent image on the front beside the silly rabbit so they can relate to who you are.

Everything I've mentioned is a small perspective on a huge topic, that you may or may not agree with. There is no magic formula for Fruity O's. CD's make great coasters and that's most likely where many will end up, but for the few that were actually heard while crunching away with multi-flavor delight, there may be a newly claimed fan waiting for your next release.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.