A river 240 mi (386 km) long in southeast Australia flowing from Snowy Mountains in to the Pacific in southeast Victoria.

Snowy is Tintin's most faithful partner, his dog. Snowy is a small terrier-like creature with tufted ears (someone better versed in canine species than I can probably identify him - a Jack Russell perhaps?). Quite smart, Snowy is often shown conversing with Tintin in classic dog sense, where they're both talking but Tintin doesn't understand what Snowy's saying precisely.

To us humans, Snowy says "Woah!" a lot, which I presume is Belgian onomotopoeia for a bark.

Snow"y (?), a.

1.

White like snow.

"So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows."

Shak.

2.

Abounding with snow; covered with snow.

"The snowy top of cold Olympus."

Milton.

3.

Fig.: Pure; unblemished; unstained; spotless.

There did he lose his snowy innocence. J. Hall (1646).

Snowy heron Zool., a white heron, or egret (Ardea candidissima), found in the Southern United States, and southward to Chile; -- called also plume bird. -- Snowy lemming Zool., the collared lemming (Cuniculus torquatus), which turns white in winter. -- Snowy owl Zool., a large arctic owl (Nyctea Scandiaca, or N. nivea) common all over the northern parts of the United States and Europe in winter time. Its plumage is sometimes nearly pure white, but it is usually more or less marked with blackish spots. Called also white owl. -- Snowy plover Zool., a small plover (Aegialitis nivosa) of the western parts of the United States and Mexico. It is light gray above, with the under parts and portions of the head white.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.