A game that a number of us dreamed up a couple of years ago, this is a useful way for an IRC channel or a chat room to collaboratively waste some time and have a few laughs...

0) A definition of "smut" has to be agreed upon by all players. The default consists of: any of the Seven Dirty Words, bare breasts, bare buttocks, or genitalia, all unfiltered and undistorted. Gray areas (wet T-shirts, pasties, thongs, and the like) must be decided upon in advance. A time limit must also be agreed upon. Five to 10 minutes is reasonable.

1) The initiator of the game, the first challenger, names a web site, any web site. You have to start at the site's homepage -- no going 6 levels into Yahoo!. And it has to be a web site -- no FTP or gopher URLs, please. And the site has to have external links that aren't ad banners. (Ad banners are allowed -- who doesn't have them these days? -- but they can't be the only external links on the site.)

2) Each player bids on how many links they would have to follow in order to find an example of smut, similar to Name That Tune. The lowest bidder is the contestant for that round.

3) The contestant begins chasing links. Use of the Back button is allowed, as some missteps are certain to happen, though this can cause time problems. Use of a search engine by filling in the search field is not allowed, though simply drilling down through the categories is permissible (although this is usually a waste of your links). By extension, anything involving filling in some sort of text field on a form is not allowed. Ad banners cannot be used, nor can dynamically generated links, as the challenger will have to be able to follow your trail (so going to everything2 won't work -- the link you follow may not be there when the challenger goes to verify, and you can't search on a particular user or node...). Getting automatically redirected only counts as one link.

6) If successful, the contestant gives the route of followed links to the challenger. When the challenger has verified the trail, the contestant is given all due accolades, and becomes the new challenger. If the challenger cannot verify the trail, or if the contestant hits the time limit, the contestant is duly razzed, and the next-lowest bidder becomes the contestant for the same starting point.

5) Repeat as desired.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.