The title of Marilyn Manson's second cd. It was originally not supposed to be a full-length album, but merely a remix cd of the band's previous album, Portrait of an American Family. Most of the tracks on this cd are either covers or remixes of Portrait tracks.

The cd is, however, famous for Marilyn Manson's well-known cover of "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)"; a song originally recorded by Eurythmics. Many people actually consider Manson's version more to-the-point than the original, myself included.

The tracklisting is as follows:

01. The Hands of Small Children
02. Diary of a Dope Fiend
03. Shitty Chicken Gang Bang
04. Kiddie Grinder
05. Sympathy for the Parents
06. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
07. Everlasting Cocksucker
08. Fuck Frankie
09. I Put A Spell On You
10. May Cause Discoloration of the Urine or Feces
11. Scabs, Guns and Peanut Butter
12. Dance of the Dope Hats
13. White Trash (Remixed by Tony F. Wiggins
14. Dancing with the One-Legged Pimp
15. Rock'n'Roll Nigger

Track 16 was a hidden track, eight minutes in length, which contains two short sonic experiments. The first one sounds like someone being nasty to a piece of midi equipment. The next one sounds like Manson's screaming voice being manipulated, both pitch and effect wise.

There were also two tracks that were excised from the track listing because of record company problems. They were:
Abuse Part I (There is pain involved)
Abuse Part II (Confession)

There is actually a bootleg available of the original Smells Like Children album, called Resident Evil. It has the original 'Smells Like Children' track listing, possibly without The Hands of Small Children or May Cause Discolouration of the Urine or Faeces, though the first could be track 16, listed simply as untitled, and the latter could be track 17, Procardia. Tracks 18 and 19 are not part of the original album, but demos of My Monkey and Choklit Factory.

Mr. Manson's thoughts on the bootleg availability of the original album?

"What had began as a very disturbing record had become a record that disturbed only me. The only solace was that through some unfortunate error someone at the recording plant made several thousand copies of our original version of the album, thinking it was the new one... Now, they are available to anyone who wants to hear them on the Internet. Though someone at the label actually accused me of plotting it, I wish I was that resourceful. God, however irrelevant he may be to me, works in mysterious ways."
- The Long Hard Road out of Hell, pg 192.

'Marilyn Manson' refers to the band; 'Manson' refers to the lead singer. This was much easier when the band were called 'Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids'.

I don't actually own 'Smells Like Children', so if any of my comments are hopelessly wrong, or you can shed light on the tracks I don't know, please msg me.



Track listing of Resident Evil:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.