Yugoslavian president/dictator (1941-2006). He was born in Pozarevac, a town in the Yugoslavian republic of Serbia. Both of his parents committed suicide, his father in 1962 and his mother in 1973. He graduated from the University of Belgrade with a law degree and was active in the Communist Party, working his way up to become Belgrade's party chief.

In 1987, Milosevic appeared before a demonstration at Kosovo Polje, a site near Pristina where the Battle of Kosovo took place, to tell angry minority Serbs, "No one will ever beat you again!" With that statement, he became a champion of Serbian nationalism, and his support base among the Serbs allowed him to become party president mere months later. In pursuit of his goal of annexation of Kosovo, he incited frequent pro-Serbian rallies and got the Yugoslavian press to spread questionable rumors about crimes committed by the Albanian majority against the Serbs (most of those rumors, it should be noted, had been around for a while before Milosevic pushed them). He was elected president of Serbia in May of 1989.

Disliking Serbia's growing power, the other Yugoslavian republics began to break away, starting with Slovenia in 1991. Eventually, only Montenegro was to remain with Serbia. As Yugoslavia fell apart, there were a series of wars pitting the Serbs against the Slovenes, the Croats, and the Bosnian Muslims. While trying to keep Kosovo from breaking away, Serbian forces killed or evicted a few hundred thousand Albanian Kosovars (exact numbers are way sketchy).

Much of the world objected to the harsh treatment dealt out by Milosevic's forces, but his negotiations with NATO were marked by his unpredictable and rarely cooperative behavior, leading to air strikes in 1999, led by the United States and Great Britain. Milosevic managed to hold onto power much longer than you would've expected, mainly because he held onto the loyalty of the Serbs, many of whom considered him a Serbian savior.

Milosevic was finally deposed in October 2000 in a mostly peaceful uprising by his own people. He was transported to the Hague to stand trial for war crimes. After five years in prison, with about 50 weeks of testimony left until the end of his trial, Milosevic died on March 11, 2006 of a heart attack.

Milosevic was a genocidal fucknozzle, and I'm glad the son-of-a-bitch is dead.

Thanks to CatherineB for fact-checking me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.