For the purpose of baby wearing, a sling is a loop of cloth that is slipped over the head, rests on the shoulder and hangs above the opposite hip. The center of the sling is wide band of cloth for setting the baby in. It is exactly like something one would see in National Geographic magazines, as women work with their babies tied onto their bodies.

It is actually very comfortable, as there are no snaps, buckles or leg holes. You just put on the sling and slip the baby into place, then tighten or loosen the leader strap as needed. It packs very easily, makes a great nursing pillow for the early months, can be used as a blanket when baby falls asleep and also doubles as a sanitary place to lay the baby for a quick diaper change.

Mine is so indispensable that I have two, one for the car, the other for the house. You can put the baby in many different positions, facing you, facing out, lying as if in a hammock, on your hip and on your back. Once you get really good at wearing your baby you can change these positions without even taking the baby out of the sling. You can cook, type, do housework, go to the bathroom, hike, nurse discreetly while walking through the grocery store…whatever you need to do.

It also makes the transition into naptime much smoother. I put on some music, sling up the baby and nurse while I sing and sway around. When baby falls asleep I walk over to the bed, bend over until the baby’s back touches the mattress, and then gently slip out of the sling without disturbing the slumber.

Baby wearing exposes your child to the world from a comforting and safe place. I have worn my children to jazz festivals and carnivals packed with people. They cruised the crowds at adult height, where I felt they were far less likely to get pelted by stray ashes and spilled beer (things that concern me when they are in strollers, you never know what could happen when your kid’s face is level with the average smoker's cigarette).

Baby wearing improves coordination and helps you read the non-verbal language of your baby. Touch and motion improve the physical and mental functioning of your child, preferable to the image of the passive baby, lying about, cooing at the wall.

For more information regarding studies on this and some excellent diagrams on how to use a sling, get yourself a copy of The Baby Book, by Bill Sears, M.D.

Sling (?), n. [OE. slinge; akin to OD. slinge, D. slinger, OHG. slinga; cf. OF. eslingue, of German origin. See Sling, v. t.]

1.

An instrument for throwing stones or other missiles, consisting of a short strap with two strings fastened to its ends, or with a string fastened to one end and a light stick to the other. The missile being lodged in a hole in the strap, the ends of the string are taken in the hand, and the whole whirled rapidly round until, by loosing one end, the missile is let fly with centrifugal force.

2.

The act or motion of hurling as with a sling; a throw; figuratively, a stroke.

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Shak.

At one sling Of thy victorius arm, well-pleasing Son. Milton.

3.

A contrivance for sustaining anything by suspension

; as: (a)

A kind of hanging bandage put around the neck, in which a wounded arm or hand is supported.

(b)

A loop of rope, or a rope or chain with hooks, for suspending a barrel, bale, or other heavy object, in hoisting or lowering.

(c)

A strap attached to a firearm, for suspending it from the shoulder.

(d) Naut.

A band of rope or iron for securing a yard to a mast; -- chiefly in the plural.

Sling cart, a kind of cart used to transport cannon and their carriages, large stones, machines, etc., the objects transported being slung, or suspended by a chain attached to the axletree. -- Sling dog, one of a pair of iron hooks used as part of a sling. See def. 3 (b) above.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sling, v. t. [imp. Slung (?), Archaic Slang (); p. p. Slung; p. pr. & vb. n. Slinging.] [AS. slingan; akin to D. slingeren, G. schlingen, to wind, to twist, to creep, OHG. slingan to wind, to twist, to move to and fro, Icel. slyngva, slongva, to sling, Sw. slunga, Dan. slynge, Lith. slinkti to creep.]

1.

To throw with a sling.

"Every one could sling stones at an hairbreadth, and not miss."

Judg. xx. 16.

2.

To throw; to hurl; to cast.

Addison.

3.

To hang so as to swing; as, to sling a pack.

4. Naut

To pass a rope round, as a cask, gun, etc., preparatory to attaching a hoisting or lowering tackle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sling, n. [Cf. G. schlingen to swallow.]

A drink composed of spirit (usually gin) and water sweetened.

<-- as, a Singapore sling. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.