The Shunt is a piece of climbing equipment made by Petzel. It is a medium sized ascender. It allows one way movement up a rope. While your weight is on the shunt it lock onto the rope. When you take your weight off the shunt you can move it along the rope. Usinf a combination of shunts you can load them alternativly and hence shimmy up the rope.

The traditional method for doing this involved tying prussock knots onto the rope. The shunt is more reliable and easier to use. The drawback is that it is quite a bit heavier than carrying a few prussock loops with you.

Shunt (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shunted; p. pr. & vb. n. Shunting.] [Prov. E., to move from, to put off, fr. OE. shunten, schunten, schounten; cf. D. schuinte a slant, slope, Icel. skunda to hasten. Cf. Shun.]

1.

To shun; to move from.

[Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

2.

To cause to move suddenly; to give a sudden start to; to shove.

[Obs. or Prov.Eng.]

Ash.

3.

To turn off to one side; especially, to turn off, as a grain or a car upon a side track; to switch off; to shift.

For shunting your late partner on to me. T. Hughes.

4. Elec.

To provide with a shunt; as, to shunt a galvanometer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Shunt (?), v. i.

To go aside; to turn off.

 

© Webster 1913.


Shunt, n. [Cf. D. schuinte slant, slope, declivity. See Shunt, v. t.]

1. Railroad

A turning off to a side or short track, that the principal track may be left free.

2. Elec.

A conducting circuit joining two points in a conductor, or the terminals of a galvanometer or dynamo, so as to form a parallel or derived circuit through which a portion of the current may pass, for the purpose of regulating the amount passing in the main circuit.

3. Gunnery

The shifting of the studs on a projectile from the deep to the shallow sides of the grooves in its discharge from a shunt gun.

Shunt dynamo Elec., a dynamo in which the field circuit is connected with the main circuit so as to form a shunt to the letter, thus employing a portion of the current from the armature to maintain the field. -- Shunt gun, a firearm having shunt rifling. See under Rifling.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.