We open with a 2 second aerial shot of a smoke filled arena, with the low rumble and percussive boom of battle. Then, eight seconds in the action, on the ground: mech suits, battle robots, air support shooting. Explosions. The battle pauses for a reaction shot to the entrance of... a four-door olive green sedan. A Kia.
Fade in dance music, as all battle participants turn their weapons on this new intruder. Zoom in to three enormous hamsters in brightly colored Hamstar® streetwear posing in front of the car. The lead hamster announces "Party Rock!"
The music stops. Beat.
Music continues. The hamsters shuffle to LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem. Mech suits tap their feet, swivel their hips. Battle troopers form lines and show off their synced shuffling and breaking.
After 30 seconds of unabashed celebratory dancing, the hamsters pile into the Kia and drive off, their mission accomplished.
Titles announce the 2012 Kia Soul: a new way to roll.
This 60-second spot debuted during MTV's Video Music Awards (VMAs) on Sunday, August 28, 2011.
Directing duties were handled by Mark Romanek ("Never Let Me Go," "One Hour Photo"). Jeff Cutter ("10 Cloverfield Lane”) was the DP, but his list of feature films took a back seat to his credits on music videos for Beck, Alanis Morissette, Ricky Martin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Lauryn Hill.
This time, the VFX was handled by Method Studios. In addition to the CGI videogame landscape, the hamsters (dancers in practical suits) needed heads, hats, and hands replaced and recreated digitally. Armored humanoids were digitally created over dancers in motion capture suits.
Sources:

David&Goliath press release, "David&Goliath Delivers Third Integrated Campaign for Kia Soul During MTV Video Music Awards ," August 29, 2011. <https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-release/2011/08/29/1309037/0/en/David-Goliath-Launches-Third-Integrated-Campaign-for-Kia-Soul-During-MTV-Video-Music-Awards.html> (January 29, 2023)

“Kia ‘Share Some Soul,’” Method Studios,
https://www.methodstudios.com/en/advertising/kia-share-some-soul/


Word count: 299 BQ23

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.