Shantih is Sanskrit for inner peace. This implies far more than the simple meaning of world peace or a time of peace, or time before a cup of tea - it is inner balance, poise, and serenity. It is self-confidence brought on by a measure of enlightenment, and a willow-like strength to withstand the storm. It is a mantra against conflict that unsettles the soul . It is an admonition which relates strongly with the paramita of ksanti. Therefore, it is also patience brought on by inner peace.

It is a mantra which is spoken three times, corresponding with the three realms in which it removes obstacles and attachments,

Shantih is spoken once for peace within the physical realm, to clear obstacles external to oneself. It is a prayer for peace in the world and in the home, for a quiet day, for the ending of wars.

Shantih is spoken a second time for peace within the realm of the divine, to clear supernatural afflictions, to bring peace to ghosts, to demons, to wandering spirits which might trouble the self.

Shantih is spoken a third time for peace within the self, to calm the mind and body. It is meditation and physical composure: a root into the earth, or the mental image of a willow swaying gently in the wind without falling. It is bringing the body back into balance, both mentally and physically.

Within the canon of the Vedas, there are numerous Shantih mantras. No matter the imagery, each features the threefold repetition at the completion of the mantra.

Shantih, shantih, shantih.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.