Shannon Curfman is a young guitar prodigy. She started playing the guitar at age ten and was soon playing shows with fellow Fargo, North Dakota based blues guitarist Jonny Lang.

Her family recognized her talent and moved to Minneapolis to allow her to pursue music. She was soon signed to a record contract and cut her first record, Loud Guitars, Big Suspicions in 1999.

According to Rolling Stone, Lang is one of her biggest fans who has said, "There's this girl in Minneapolis named Shannon Curfman. She's only fourteen...she scares me (in how good she is)."

I saw her at the Pittsburgh Blues Festival this past summer and was very impressed with not only her great guitar work but her voice.


Some information from:
shannoncurfman.com and rollingstone.com

Shannon Curfman's 1st LP, "Loud Guitar's, Big Suspicions" and the promotional tour that followed made many wonder, how, at 14 she was able to sing, play and have the stage presence of an accomplished R&B, rythym & blues artist. Unfortunately, radio airplay did not follow and her popularity dwindled, even though she had appeared on such shows as "Rosie O'Donnell".

Shannon was to go on several different record labels but artistic integrity of hers versus the wants of the music industry for a teen musician differed greatly. Integrity won out and Shannon continued to write and do occasional appearances over the next 6 years. This included a song included on for the film, "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants".
Shannon has come back in 2006 with a CD "{Take it Like a Man]" and will be touring in 2007 to promote a newer CD, both recorded indepentently on her own indie label, Purdy.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.