Hollywood's Wild Child

Shannen Doherty has always marched to the beat of a different drummer.

Full Name: Shannen Maria Doherty
Date of Birth: April 12, 1971
Place of Birth: Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Marital Status: Married on January 26, 2002 to super-middleweight boxer Richard Salomon in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Her Family
Shannen was born into a Southern Baptist family. She and her family moved to Southern California when she was seven years old. Her father, Tom Doherty, is a bank employee and her mother, Rosa, owns a beauty parlor. Shannen has a brother, Sean, who is four years older than she is.

Past Significant Other(s)
In 1990, Shannen met photo studio owner, Dean Factor, heir to the Max Factor cosmetics fortune. They were engaged briefly before separating in 1991. She exchanged commitment rings with Chris Foufas. a real estate developer in 1991. In 1992, the relationship ended. On the set of the 1994 movie, blindfold, she met actor Judd Nelson. They were a couple for a very brief time. On September 24, 1993. She and actor, Rob Weiss met in 1994, announced their engagement in December of 1995. They separated in April of 1996. She married Ashley Hamilton, son of actor George Hamilton. They had met two weeks prior to the wedding. They separated five months later and filed for divorce in April of 1996.

Her Life In Front Of The Camera

Young Shannen in Hollywood
Shannen begins her acting career as a thespian playing Sneezy in a local production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. In 1981, her first professional gig comes when she does a voice-over in Secret of NIMH.

Shortly after, She is cast in the role of Drucilla Shannon in the 1980s series Father Murphy. The late Michael Landon, producer of the series, spotted Shannen and cast her in the role of Jenny Wilder in Little House: A New Beginning. She would later rejoin the cast of Little House on the Prairie for several made-for TV movies. in 1985, she joined Michael Landon one more time in an episode of Highway to Heaven.

The later 1980s brought appearances in some other popular series such as Cagney & Lacey and Magnum P.I. By the time she was cast in the role of teen Kris Witherspoon in the 1986 series Our House with Wilford Brimley and Deidre Hall, Shannen had appeared on the big screen in Night Shift and Girls Just Want To Have Fun. It was the final year of the decade when a grown up Shannen co-starred with Winona Ryder in Heathers.

The Major Turn
In October of 1990, Beverly Hills 90210 made its debut on Fox. It was then that the world was introduced to a group of teens living in trendy Beverly Hills. At the suggestion of Aaron Spelling's daughter, Tori, Shannen Doherty was cast in the role of Brenda Walsh. Shannen was in her late teens by this time, and the once "innocent prairie girl" was no more.

Shannen was raising hell on the set of the famous zip code. Her prima donna behavior made things very difficult and unpleasant for everyone on the set. She had temper tantrums, she fell into the habit of showing up late for work or not showing up at all. Her unprofessional conduct infuriated other cast members. Her contract had not been renewed for the following season, yet there was talk that she was going to return. USA Today spoke with Spelling in March of 1994.

"I don't think she'll be there. "Shannen's a terrific actress, and none of this came up because of her ability to act. She knows why she's not coming back."
So it would be. In May of 1994, Brenda Walsh was last seen in the in the fourth season finale of 90210 saying goodbye to her on again off again boyfriend, Dylan McKay as she headed off to London to pursue a career in the theater. As Brenda left Beverly Hills, the actress who portrayed her for four year exited the series on a sour note. In August of 2000, Shannen Doherty sat down for an interview with Cleo Magazine.
"Let me start by saying it wasn't like I walked out one day and said, 'I quit.' It was a very long process of quitting the show. Aaron got as fed up with me as I was with the show, and I think it was because the notoriety was too much. People were hating the character and I couldn't take the abuse that came with that. People couldn't separate me from her and I got sick of people assuming that I was as naughty and bad as Brenda was. It was all very hurtful."

The fifth season premiere of the popular teen drama series introduced Tiffani-Amber Thiessen as Valerie Malone. Some believe Shannen Doherty to be a tough act to follow. Tiffani managed to do it and do it very well.

The Newsletter
Much of what Shannen Doherty was referring to was the I Hate Brenda newsletter, a wacky gab sheet devoted to "Pannin Shannen." It was created by Darby Romeo, the same young woman credited with publishing Ben is Dead. Teaming up with roommate Kerin Morataya in 1992 for the newsletter that wasn't about Brenda Walsh, but about Shannen's seemingly endless run of hissy fits, Darby Romeo did it again.

The popular newsletter came to be when Romeo and Morataya, whose real fixation was with L.A.'s alternative-music scene, faxed a compilation of press Shannen clips to some friends in the music industry. They, in turn, passed it on to other friends in the media. This provoked a blizzard of faxes and phone calls, all attesting to terrible brushes with Shannen Doherty. It all started as a joke, but turned into a full-blown I Hate Brenda campaign, complete with things like T-shirts that sold for $12 and bumper stickers for $1.

Her Own Worse Enemy
Anyone can take cheap shots at a public figure, but as a rule, without ammunition to fan the fire, interest will die down. Sadly, Shannen Doherty was giving many people plenty of reasons to dislike, if not detest her. Her notorious behavior was not confined to the set of 90210. In 1992, Shannen was a guest on The Dennis Miller Show. It was the fourth show and Miller was new to the format of a talk show. Early in the interview, Shannen rudely asked Miller if he was nervous and proceeded to point his twitching eyebrow. It reportedly made headlines the following day and shortly after, Miller was taking every opportunity possible to lampoon her on his show.

On the set of Jailbreakers in 1994, director William Friedkin is furious when Shannen fails to show up on the first day of shooting. It turned out that she had just returned from Italy, where she had raised hell by turning up late for a talk show. Friedkin agreed to stick with Shannen only because the alternative was to call auditions with a dozen other actresses in order to choose one to replace her.

Spelling Hires Her Again
In 1998, four years after her departure from Beverly Hills 90210, Shannen would be hired again by producer Aaron Spelling. In October of 1998 is when the weekly series Charmed made its debut on The WB Network. Shannen was cast as Prue Halliwell, the oldest and the most powerful of the three beautiful Halliwell sisters with supernatural powers. As The Charmed Ones, Prue, Piper and Phoebe Halliwell had a higher calling. Their world was one understood by few and feared by many.

Shannen's fans were thrilled to see her back on a weekly series. Some even began watching the show simply because she was in it. For three years, she, along with Holly Marie Combs and Alyssa Milano kicked demon butt and protected the world from evil. Once again, even as things were going well in front of the camera, there was discord on the set. There were reports of fighting between Shannen and co-star, Alyssa Milano. Holly Marie Combs attempted to intervene, but her efforts were futile. She was tired of trying to make peace on the set. The battles between Shannen and Alyssa were ongoing, and described by one source as vicious and sometimes childish. Holly, who was not only Shannen's co-star on the show, but a close friend for more than six years said, "Shannen is strong, determined and loving. Alyssa is sweet, nurturing and spiritual."

A Rose Blooms For Charmed
In May of 2001, at the end of the third season of Charmed, Shannen's character, Prue Halliwell was hurled through a wall by a demonic hit man. She died as a result, releasing Shannen from her contract on the series. The fourth season of the series begins with Prue's family and friends saying goodbye to her forever and actress Rose McGowan is introduced as Paige, the long lost half sister the Halliwell girls never knew about. She too has supernatural powers and The Power of Three once again becomes a force to be reckoned with. Like Tiffani-Amber Thiessen in 90210, Rose McGowan faced the same tough task of picking up where Shannen left off. Rose McGowan wasn't first choice for the roll. Producer Aaron Spelling's first choices were Jennifer Love Hewitt and Tiffani Thiessen. Both passed on the offer. Rose seemed to have no problem joining a cast already in its groove. Not being first choice couldn't have been a walk in the park either.

This whole thing is all too familiar to anyone who knows anything about Shannen Doherty. Whether they be a producer, director, friend, fan or just someone who peeks to see what latest folly the beautiful, talented, but very troubled actress is embroiled in, everyone knows that where Shannen Doherty is concerned, there's never a dull moment. She is notorious for many things, not the least of which is creating a popular character and then stomping off in a huff like a spoiled child, leaving others to clean up the mess she leaves behind.

On Her Own Time

Early Shannen Shenanigans
Shunning private tutors, she enrolls in a Los Angeles Baptist High School. Shannen reflects on her brief time there.

"They thought dancing was evil, and I disagreed. I organized a big dance, and the principal called me in . . . He had his Bible out there on his desk and told me how God would punish me. I flipped through his Bible and found references to people dancing and rejoicing. I said to him, `It clearly shows they danced and rejoiced. Just what the - - - is wrong with you?' "

On The Campaign Trial
In 1992, Shannen, a professed conservative, is asked to is asked by the Young Republican Women's Caucus to recite the pledge of allegiance at the Republican National Convention in Houston. Much to the dismay of the Secret Service, Shannen introduces herself to first lady Barbara Bush, who has no idea who the actress is. Melissa Evancourt, who dealt with Shannen at the convention is so upset by the upheaval Shannen caused that she is moved to write a letter to Darby Romeo, creator of the I Hate Brenda newsletter. In it, she recounts how Shannen refused to ride in a limo that didn't have a mirror in it, wouldn't enter her dressing room until the nameplate was changed from "Shannon" to "Shannen, and stuck the GOP with a $2,000 phone bill. Evancourt also said that Shannen was never without a lit cigarette and a tumbler of tequila. The letter concluded, "Her backstage antics completely negated her belief in home, family and flag and besmirched her identification as a young Republican woman."

More Than Just A Diva

Dangerous Behavior
On May 25, 1993, Dean Jay Factor petitions the Superior Court of California for a domestic violence restraining order against Shannen Doherty. Although an understanding had been reached and differences between Shannen and Dean Factor were resolved, eliminating the need for further court proceedings, the allegations in Factor's decloration are very disturbing. In his petition, he describes Shannen's displays of rage. Once, he claims, she attempted to run him down with a car. He goes on to describe how she threw a log through a window to get into his home. Still another incident involved Shannen threatening him with a gun.

"I was weary of the verbal assaults and locked myself in our bathroom. At this point she threatened to shoot me and said, ''I'm going to drop you!'' I knew she had a loaded 9-mm automatic. . . . I heard the chamber pulled back; at that point, I hastily exited the house through a back door connected to the bathroom and escaped"
Also in the petition is Factor's admission to slapping her and on another occasion, throwing her into his swimming pool. Saying he was acting in self-defense, it's a claim those who know Shannen are inclined to believe.

Chris Foufas was engaged to Shannen in 1991. Attesting to the star's propensity for violent behavior, he said, "Things move along smoothly for a while, and then something snaps and she goes into another drive: rage."

Other Legal Troubles

Wages Garnisheed
While still on 90210, Shannen's wages were garnisheed by California United Bank. She had written nearly $32,000 worth of bad checks. The actress had a fit after hearing it said that she made $12,000 a week while still starring in 90210. Besides claiming to be in the highest tax bracket, she said she had attorneys to pay for. She also admitted to some hefty shopping binges.

Shannen Sued By Former Landlord
In 1994, While 90210 co-star Gabrielle Carteris and her stockbroker husband, Charles Isaacs, were joyful over the arrival of their first child, Shannen Doherty was being sued by a former landlord who claimed she trashed an apartment and owes him $14,000 in rent. The man also said that Shannen did $136,300 damage which included damage to an alarm system and a $9,769 sofa.

Sentenced To Anger Management
In September of 1997, Shannen was sentenced to anger-management counseling by the Beverly Hills Municipal Court. This stemmed from an incident which occurred in August of 1996 when she got into an argument with a young man and smashed a beer bottle on the window of his vehicle as he tried to drive away from her.

Drunk Driving Charges
In December of 2000, police spotted Shannen's black pick-up truck weaving along a freeway. She was stopped in Thousand Oaks, just north of Los Angeles. At the time of her arrest,her blood-alcohol level was .13 percent, well above the legal limit of .08 percent. In June of 2001, she was sentenced to five days of picking up trash along the highways of Ventura County. She also gave lectures to teens on the hazards of driving under the influence as part of her punishment. She was also given three years probation and ordered to pay a fine of $1,500.

It Takes More Than Beauty And Talent

Not that Easy
If beauty, talent and soulful green eyes were all it took to get along in Hollywood, Shannen Doherty wouldn't have a care in the world. Her life seems anything but happy, peaceful and successful. Much like her character, Prue Halliwell on Charmed Shannen has fought demons too. Unlike Prue, however, Shannen Doherty's demons come from within. She's reportedly changed and grown from her experiences. Time will tell.

Filmography

Little House on the Prairie: (1974-1983) Weekly television series that tells the true story of the life and adventures of the Ingalls family in the 19th century American West. Based on the popular "Little House" book series by Laura Ingalls-Wilder.

Secret of NIMH: (1982) A field mouse seeks the help of a colony of super-intelligent rats to save her invalid son. He's unable to get out of the family's cinder-block home on a farm which is soon to be crushed by a farmer's spring plowing.

Night Shift: (1982) A morgue attendant is put back on the night shift and finds himself stuck with stuck with an obnoxious neophyte partner who dreams up an idea for success. When their prostitute neighbor complains about the loss of her pimp, the partner suggests that they fill that position using the morgue at night for their brothel.

Little House: Look Back to Yesterday: (1983) This made-for-TV movie depicts Albert Ingalls' brave battle with an ultimately fatal illness. Meanwhile, Walnut Grove has fallen on hard times because of a dispute between the farmers and the railroad.

Little House: The Last Farewell: (1984)The town of Walnut Grove is destroyed after it is revealed to have been built on land owned by a railroad tycoon. The citizens deal with the loss of their town and lifestyles.

Little House: Bless All the Dear Children: (1984) During preparations for Christmas, Alonzo Wilder and Laura Ingalls Wilder are in search of baby Rose, who has been kidnapped by a woman who recently lost her own child. Meanwhile Christmas wishes for two young children are fulfilled.

Robert Kennedy & His Times: (1985) Shannen Doherty portrayed Kathleen Kennedy in parts 1 & 2 of this mini-series of the slain senator's life.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun: (1985) The new girl in town finds a friend who shares her passion for dancing. When a competition is announced to find a new couple for "Dance TV," the girls are determined audition despite the fact that the new girl's dad disapproves.

The Other Lover: (1985) A novelist enters into an affair with a doctor's wife, who besides being the mother of two, is also his publishing company's marketing director.

Our House: (1986-1988) Following the death of his son, an elderly man takes his daughter-in-law and three grandchildren into his home. Adjustment does not come easy for any of them.

Outlaws: (1986) Thanks to a time warp, A sheriff and his deputies from the old west are transported 100 years into the future. Modern day Huston sure seems strange to them, but that doesn't stop this group of cowboys from starting a detective agency.

Heathers (1989) A girl who wants to be part of the "in crowd" of her school meets a rebel who teaches her a more devious way to play social politics.

Beverly Hills 90210: (1990-2000) Jim and Cindy Walsh and their teen twins, Brandon and Brenda, move from their home in Minnesota to trendy Beverly Hills where life is far from the uncomplicated existence the family is accustomed to.

Forever Young: (1991) The story of two friends in their last week of high school. It's Saturday night and a friend is throwing a big party, but this is the night when everyone in school would learn the pain of loosing a friend to drinking and driving.

Obsessed: (1992) A young woman who grew up feeling neglected by her father meets an older man that her company is doing business with. They become involved in an affair, but when he tries to break it off, the young woman doesn't take it very well.

The Secret of Lost Creek: (1992) A city girl finds small town adventure during a summer vacation with her grandparents.

Freeze Frame: (1992) A very bright high school student has aspirations of becoming a reporter. Already working for the school newspaper, she discovers a big scandal. While she and her friends are being chased by dangerous criminals, no one believes them.

Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult: (1994) Frank Drebin is persuaded out of retirement to go undercover in a state prison where he is to find out what Rocco, a top terrorist, has planned when he escapes. Adding to Franks problems is the fact that his wife desperately wants a baby.

Blindfold: (1994) Following the advice of her therapist, a young woman and her husband spice up their marriage by taking part in some kinky bondage games. Meanwhile, the woman's sister, a cop, is hot on the trail of a serial killer with a penchant for blindfolds and handcuffs.

Jailbreakers: (1994) A 1950's high school cheerleader meets a leather clad rebel biker and goes out of town with him. When he's caught stealing and goes to prison, he escapes to go in search of his lost love in order to resume their criminal activities.

A Burning Passion: The Margaret Mitchell Story: (1994) Shannen Doherty portrays the woman whose life is said to parallel that of heroine Scarlett O'Hara

Almost Dead: (1994) A woman psychologist, who specializes in research about twins, believes she's being haunted by the ghost of her dead mother.

Mallrats: (1995) When two guys are dumped by their girlfriends, They seek comfort at the neighborhood mall where they become entangled in wacky antics that they hope will win back their ex-girlfriends.

Gone in the Night: (1996) The true story of a couple suspected in the kidnapping and murder of their little girl.

Friends 'Til the End: (1997) an unbalanced college student meets and befriends a fellow coed and takes advantage of her in order to climb to the top of a singing career as part of the university's talent shows.

Sleeping with the Devil: (1997) A manipulative businessman from Texas uses resources in high places to terrorize and control his former girlfriend.

Nowhere: (1997) A group of Los Angeles high school kids try to sort out their lives and emotions amidst bizarre experiences happening to each one of them.

The Ticket: (1997) While on a plane flight with her husband and son to claim a large cash prize won by her husband, a woman discovers that the flight's terrible ending was no accident.

Charmed: (1998) Three sisters discover that they are descendent of a line of female witches. Each with a supernatural power of her own, the three combine their powers to fight demons, warlocks and other evils.

Striking Poses: (1999) When a beautiful paparazzo for a tabloid magazine finds she's being pursued by a ruthless stalker, she is determined to emerge from this deadly game alive, and independently wealthy.

Satan's School for Girls: Under an alias, a young woman enrolls at the same college that her younger sister attended in order to probe her apparent suicide. She soon finds herself battling a secret group that's actually a Satanic cult.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: (2001) When Jay and Silent Bob learn that a Bluntman and Chronic movie is being made featuring their comic book counterparts, they drool at the thought of fat movie checks rolling in. But when the pair find that there won't be any royalties coming their way, they set out to sabotage the flick at all costs.

Another Day: (2001) After a fight over a couple's unborn child, the husband is killed in a fire. A few years later, the woman is in a boating accident and wakes up on-shore to find that she's living two days before the fatal fire.

The Rendering: (2002) A woman discovers that the man that stabbed her ten years ago is out of prison and after her again.

Hell on Heels: The Battle of Mary Kay: (2002) a funny, affectionate Valentine to the late Ms. Mary Kay Ash, founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics.




Sources: http://shannendoherty.tv/articles.cfm
http://www.askmen.com/
http://www.eonline.com/
http://www.elibrary.com/
http://www.imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.